• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grade 5 murmur--how much can she run around?

Emkaybee

My Tess has a grade 5 murmur. When I asked how much physical activity is OK for her, my vet said to let her set her own pace. No extended walks on leash, etc. we normally go to the dog park in the mornings, and Tess makes a circuit of the park, sniffing and doing her business, then gets up onto a table where she greets her fans who pet her. Her vet thought that sounded about right. ;)

However, once in a while, Tess gets very playful. She'll pick up her feet and dash about madly. The other day she got flirty with a large Labrador and got him to play with her. Sometimes she starts chasing the ball.

Based on the vet's recommendations to let her set her own pace, I've just gone along with whatever she's done but sometimes I've wondered if I shouldn't intervene and keep her calmer.

To those of you with dogs with MVD, what would you do? Also, do any of you use a carrier for your dog if it gets tired? I was thinking about getting one, or a stroller. Not sure if I'm going overboard though... :shock:

I would heartily recommend a pet stroller. Oliver had to have crate rest for 4 weeks a few years ago, and then gently get back into walking, so rather than just take him round the block I bought a stroller and pushed him to the park, where he much enjoyed being able to potter around off-lead. If you got one, you could let Tess run and play as long as she can manage and then just pop her in and continue your round of the park as a royal procession, with Tess sitting up to greet her admirers! My stroller folds up and fits easily into the boot of a car. I don't have a car, so using it also meant that Oliver could accompany me and my other Cavalier when we went to visit friends or help at dog shows - though I did get some funny looks when people realised it was a dog, not a baby, in the buggy! I also developed a lot of sympathy for mothers trying to get buggies on and off trains...

I didn't have the buggy when an earlier Cavalier also had a grade 5 murmur and then 9 months of congestive heart failure, but I used to take her around with me in the basket of my bicycle! They do enjoy still being able to go out and about and meet people.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

... Based on the vet's recommendations to let her set her own pace, I've just gone along with whatever she's done but sometimes I've wondered if I shouldn't intervene and keep her calmer.

To those of you with dogs with MVD, what would you do? Also, do any of you use a carrier for your dog if it gets tired? I was thinking about getting one, or a stroller. Not sure if I'm going overboard though... :shock:

I'd go along with what your vet suggested, in this incidence -- let her set her own pace. I would not force a lot of exercise on her, like agility training, but I would let her enjoy herself. A goal of caring for a dog with MVD is to let the dog enjoy the rest of its life.

Hi

My Daisy has a Grade 4 but I fully intend to do what Rod said and let her enjoy herself and I enjoy her at her own pace
to do what she wants to do .

I have a Cavalier who will be 12 half years old in September and is a grade 6, three years ago when he started to cough and went on medication I thought that was the end, the Vet after all his tests etc said let him do what he wants and don`t wrap him up in cotton wool, let him enjoy life, we are aware he has a problem, but he amazes us, he has two walks every day and still loves to go out just as much for the smells as anything, when we go out in the car further afield and have sit downs on a bench he will not relax as our other Cavalier does who is much younger, he has to be on the move all the time, I have been worried about him over doing it but he is a very stubborn little dog and won`t give up and we think that is what keeps him going.

Coco has a grade 5 murmur. I was given the same advice from her Cardiologist. We have the opposite problem with Coco, she hates going out and gets completely stressed
which makes life difficult taking the others out. We have solved the problem by buying a doggy bag for her, it makes life easier because she feels safe while she is close to me.
I have just ordered a doggy sling which I would like to try. The bag makes my shoulders ache if we are out for a long time.

We also have a stroller for Molly who has sm, Molly only rides in it when she has had enough, she soon lets us know.

Quality of life is important, if Tess is happy running around that is what matters.

Thanks all for the helpful information.

Tania--What sling did you order? I don't have a great lower back, so wanted to look into something designed to distribute the weight evenly.

Kate--did you buy a dog stroller, or just use a baby one?

Thanks again, everyone.

Yes, I bought a dog stroller, just a light four-wheeler that is fine on paths and short grass. You can get 'off-road' three wheelers which are much tougher (and more expensive). Or with a little ingenuity you could adapt a baby buggy, which you might be able to find secondhand. Mine wasn't terribly expensive and it's a useful thing to have - it gets lent out and I expect Oliver will need it again someday when he gets older.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back