• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bakers dog food - is it okay?

Hi all,

we have a 10 week old puppy and we are currently using royal canin food. This is quite pricey as we are getting through it quite quickly.

I have seen bakers puppy food sold at pets at home. Does anyone use this dog food for their puppy?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Bakers is pretty mediocre quality, additives and colourings etc. Any supermarket food is pretty poor quality -- that is why it is cheap. Can't remember where you are based but in the UK, some other options are Burns or James Wellbeloved.

The best approach is to buy the largest bag of food, not those small ones which cost up to four times as much as it will cost you to get a large bag. Often you can get a good price on food on the internet too, delivered. I'd buy a good plastic food bin for dog food that seals tightly (widely available at pet shops and online pet suppliers) and then get the largest bag of Royal Canin or your chosen quality food. Also I think RC's cavalier food only comes in smaller bags -- would just switch to the largest bag of their mini-bites for small dogs, if this is the case.

Personally I would stick to a top quality kibble, like Royal Canin and do like Karlin says and buy the biggest bag possible. I actually store Fletcher's kibble in a useable size large canister, I keep the big bag in a giant zip lock. Works for me! You can also "stretch" the kibble by adding small amounts of fresh veggies, fruits, yogurt, or even some plain cooked chicken (when I'm cooking chicken I leave out a piece from the recipe and just bake it- nice treat for Fletcher). However, you need to be careful and remember the kibble is the main food source. Also remember that your puppy is a baby and he will not eat 4 times a day forever. I felt like all I did with Fletcher those first few weeks was feed him and stand outside with him :)

When you are rearing a puppy you are well advised to give him the very best you can afford. Royal Canin is a good quality food, available in large bags and storeable in airtight containers; mine came from Pets at Home. As Karlin said, Burns and James Wellbeloved are very good too, or you might like Fish For Dogs mixed in too to give variety of taste and nourishment. What you put into a dog is what you get out so buying cheap supermarket food is perhaps importing trouble for the future. Vets cost a lot more than a good quality food.

I have always reared my pups on 2 meals a day of Kibble, plus a little scrambled egg for breakfast and a bowl of Weetabix with Goats Milk for in the evening. I like to give a little more warm Goats Milk at bedtime with about half a teaspoon of runny honey mixed in, which gives extra vitamins and calcium for strong bodies and bones. Make a wise investment in your pup from the very start and you will be building a healthy framework for the future.

Back