• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I need advice

meljoy

Hi,
I am after some advice re neutering. Leo who is 6 years next month has never been neutered. I have never felt the need. He is not a dominant dog, doesnt mark his teritory, does "hump" and has NO agression issues until now.
When we were on holiday last month we met a family with three cavaliers whilst out. Leo was all waggy tails when he greeted the two females but growled and barked at the male in quite an agressive way. I put it down to a clash of personalities as he's never done it before.
Then today we were at my brothers, his neighbour has a lovely cavalier boy, when she introduced him Leo went for him!!!! He was growling and snapping, ive never seen him like it before.

So my question is would having him neutered calm him dow. he's usually so dog friendly but I dont want him going for every male dog we meet. I know he's only done it twice but thats twice too many.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Mel

Try chemically neutering him first with a shot of Tardak from your vet, if that doesn't help I doubt surgery will either.

I'd differ in opinion:) and say neutering usually does help this kind of behaviour, and fairly quickly. My friends who run Dog Training Ireland would have this as their top recommendation for this kind of situation and I have always seen a major change in behaviour from neutering male rescues. It might however be a good idea to talk to both your vet, and a CPDT- certified trainer for perspectives?

I would be willing to wager a trainer would say you are seeing behaviour not surprising for an older intact dog who feels threatened and possessive about females and towards younger intact males in a way he might not have at a younger age. Neutering resolves or greatly reduces the level of conflict for the majority of males (I have the stats somewhere; it is about 70% of cases I think).

If you're unsure what you want to do you could talkmtomyour vet about trying the chemical injection first thoughnI am not surenthisnproduces an equivalent effect? I've nev known anyone who has tried this.

At any rate you may wish to talk to good trainer as it sounds as if you will likely at the very least need to consider new ways of managing him.

Ah found the stats:

The actual figures from a UC Davis vet study: 94% reduction in roaming -- 66% reduction in mounting -- 63% reduction in inter-male aggression -- 59% reduction in urine marking

Keep in mind that doesn't mean only 63% of malemdogs are less aggressive- it means a 63% reduction of such behaviour overall in males generally.

Is Leo being positively aggressive, or is he feeling threatened for some reason and warning other males off - I'm fierce, so don't come near me, because really I'm dead scared of you! My Oliver (also unneutered) is like this with any dog who even slightly resembles a black and white staffie - he's fine with them off-lead, but obviously feels he can't manoeuvre if there's trouble when he's on-lead (he got attacked twice about 8 years ago!). How is Leo with males off-lead? It sounds as if both the occasions you mention were on-lead encounters - in which case the cause is likely to be fear, and I can't see neutering helping - in fact it may make other dogs try to bully him and reinforce his fear. With Oliver I try to look ahead and if I see a dog coming that he is likely to object to, I distract him by telling him to watch me, or warn him sternly to behave. If you get worried about a possible incident, this will reinforce Leo's feeling that there is something to worry about, so you need to be bracing and cheerfully firm before you reach the other dog.

If you don't think this explains Leo's behaviour, it might be worth checking with your vet, because health issues can make dogs behave out of character. Suddenly becoming aggressive, especially in a normally friendly breed like Cavaliers, often has a specific cause other than a sudden rush of testosterone!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

If you don't think this explains Leo's behaviour, it might be worth checking with your vet, because health issues can make dogs behave out of character. Suddenly becoming aggressive, especially in a normally friendly breed like Cavaliers, often has a specific cause other than a sudden rush of testosterone!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

A poster in the boxer forum is having a similar issue- I'd check with the vet and get a thyroid check, blood sugar etc. to rule out the simple (and, of course, if it's medical, you can't train it out of them- if my blood sugar is low, I am more likely to snap at you, too! :p and :/) and then move on to the behavior issue based reasons. I hope it's a simple fix (((hugs))).

I just started having this issue with my rescue Toby, sounds exactly the same - but he is desexed. We are working to get a trainer on the job, because I feel like it is out of my league and I scares me sometimes. He only does it to males I am pretty sure - and Brooky loves dogs...so I don't know how to manage when one wants to play, and one wants to be aggressive. It is so hard, not what you ever expect from a cavalier.

Thank you all for your replies.
Kate what you have said makes perfect sence. Both occassions Leo was on a lead, both were male dogs. Leo has met other male dogs and been fine, playing lovely. The dog at my brothers yesterday was gorgeous and looked totally perplexed at Leo and did not retaliate one bit which was why I was so shocked at Leo's behaviour. Im sure my reaction and shock made it worse!
I will be contacting a trainer to ask for ways to avoid this and manage him. I dont want to get him unnecessary surgery when I can manage it another way, however the stats that Karlin has given are very compelling to think about neutering him anyway.

It was upsetting to see my usual affectionate loveing little guy behaving like some pumped up fighting dog.

Again Thank you

Mel

Back