• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

No Jump

Sintari

I am always amazed when I take Tucker out in "public" how often people don't want to follow my requests for my dog!

When I see them coming towards us for a little Tucker love (not once has anyone EVER offered to rub my belly which really is a shame but another topic : ) I say to Tucker "No jump, no jump" and he sits and wags his tail as if he's gotten no love all day LOL! Anyway Im never surprised when I hear " Oh that's okay I love dogs" ! while they encourage him to jump-up. One lady actually wanted to debate with me the rightness behind my training "just a puppy who is doing only what comes natural".

I must have had the devil in me cause I very politely said "Well it's sorta natural for him to take a dump on the living room floor. When can i bring him over??" cl*p

Hahaha you're my kind of person. I also have those evil thought and not a great filter on what I say. I usually pick Fletcher up to greet people cause I know most adults will not come down to has level for that exact reason. I don't think its good manners for a dog to jump up on people whether they like it or not. On the other hand I always bend down to meet other people's dogs. For me I think its a habit from working with kids for a long time I just want to greet things eye to eye.

Ugghhhh I feel your pain! I live downtown in a fairly busy city....and I am SOOOOO sick of people just running up and playing with my dog - then giving ME dirty looks when I dont always let them interact. Sorry but YOU are teaching MY dog BAD MANNERS! Living in a city, I need to be able to walk down the sidewalk without the dogs thinking they can jump on every single person that passes us. I really appreciate when people ask permission to pet the dogs, I find it incredibly rude and ignorant when people just run up and let the dogs jump on them. Anyway thats my rant, glad there are others who feel similar :)

This stuff is part of the reason when I was training Luke for the CGC, I stopped taking him to Petsmart. In Petsmart, people, everyone, including employees, just ran right up to him and pet him without asking. I started taking him to Lowes instead. In Lowes, everyone asked first if they could pet him, and I never had one person not comply with my request that they allow me to get him to sit first before they pet him. It's because of the excellent people at Lowe's that he passed his test.

I am particularly cautious about this because Bella is big enough to knock a child over if she were to jump up. I have one word for everything similar and that is "Off" if she jumps up I say off, if she is on the lounge when we are eating dinner I say "off". Just trying to keep things simple. I am now teaching her how to behave with people in wheel chairs because we have some people in our street who love to pat her, but to do this she does sort of need to jump, I put my hand on the hand rail and say "High five" (because I taught her that when she was younger) and if she doesn't do it I stand her up so people can have a pat. :)

Back