Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup Sickness after Frontline Treatment?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I've heard of several reactions to Frontline ranging from what you described to even death. The product is a neurotoxin and I feel there are safer options (esp when you have a neurologically compromised pup like I do). Comfortis is great, more "natural" and protects against fleas. You can do a tick collar to protect against ticks. Personally, I've heard of too many horror stories from Frontline. I hope your little guy improves.

Post Thanks / Like

Just fyi , heartworm medications are dewormers, not heart meds (we used many of the same meds as dewormers in our horses). Heartworms are very prevalent in the southeastern United States especially, and if your dog goes outside, they need to be on the preventative year 'round here. In the northern states, you can get away with using it only during mosquito season, but it depends on your area and your vet's recommendations. Treatment for heartworms is a long and lengthy, not to mention difficult, treatment (my dad adopted a German Shepherd from a man who needed to find find him a home, and we had to go through this treatment plan with the GS). Our boxer (who already had severe aortic stenosis) came from the pound with what was thankfully a very mild case of it (2 or 3 worms, instead of an infestation) and her cardiologist and vet recommended putting her on Heartguard to kill any new ones, and let the 2 or 3 die off naturally (I think it takes about a year).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oops -- didn't mean to imply otherwise! I'd call them heart medications as they are deworming medications specifically for the heart. But in a breed where so many are on other medications for heart function, that's easily confusing. Better to say 'heartworm medications' and avoid any misunderstanding.

On tick collars: my understanding is that tick and flea collars are a lot worse in terms of risk as the chemicals are held right against the neck for weeks? Also they can end up on people at high concentration levels.

http://www.rodale.com/chemicals-flea-and-tick-collars and the original recent report here:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/poisonson...sonsonpets.pdf

Also: http://www.examiner.com/article/flea...collar-dangers
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your answers and resources you have provided.

Our little man Riley passed on Monday night at the Vets. He headed south pretty rapidly on Monday afternoon even on 24 hour care on IV's and antibiotics. My wife and I have had a rough time dealing with this and can't get any answers from the vet or breeder as they state they have no idea what went wrong and happen.

Karlin - I think they were going by the 6-9-12-15 week for vaccinations. So Sept 4th from July 4th is around 9 weeks I believe.

Also want to state that we aren't advocating Frontline as what did this and don't want for people that are using or advised to use it to think there is some sort of relation. We just took the fact Riley got sick after this was applied.

Thsi is the hardest thing to deal with in a while

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no- I am so, so sorry!!!! (((hugs)))

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh no -- this is really terrible. I'm so sorry. This must be avery difficult time for you.

Will they try and determine the cause? It does sound like it could be the Frontline, perhaps in combination with his young age and the recent vaccination plus heart meds. But puppies can get into many dangerous things too like eating slug pellets or chocolate or raisins, which can all be fatal as well.

I would really push to have the death reported as a possible complication of Frontline and/or of his vaccinations.

You would tend to think possibly the Frontline given that others have reported these neuropathic signs in older dogs.

This is a terrible tragedy.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com