• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Serious Q?

KimberleyMikado

Bowser has lost all his hair around his stomach.Basically everywhere except legs and head. I brought him to the vet and he said he's never seen anything like it. He checked for mites and checked him with some light thing. He was puzzled as to what it could be cos Bowser is in great spirits and seems really healthy. He hasnt had a traumatic experience. I havnt a clue what it could be :( i've had to buy him a little jacket for his walks but he wont walk keeps shaking from the cold.

Did the vet check his thyroid function? Lack of thyroid can cause hair loss.

When my Tess had lost a lot of hair it was due to a flea allergy. However, it was clear shed been chewing on herself and irritating the skin. It doesn't sound like that's the case here. Do you think he gets enough oil in his diet?

Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

I've heard about this in another cavalier but was some time back. Don't think they ever got a diagnosis.

Riley lost almost all of her hair especially on her stomach several years ago but I contributed it to her starting on prednisone. I don't know for sure if that's what it was or not. I put her on 1000mg pure salmon oil caps and she has regrown her hair everywhere except for her tail which looks like a rat's tail. Might be worth a try. Like I said, I don't know if it was related to the pred or not. She had been on it for awhile before she started losing her hair. Her regrown hair is beautiful and silky by the way.

Back