Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charlie is bring neutered tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

I agree don't apologize the when to neuter is still up for debate. Personally I think people being passionate about their opinions is good for the breed. After all we all want what is best for our dogs, the breed and ourselves. There is obviously both positive and negatives on both sides of this issue. The bottom line is it comes down to what's right for you and your dog. It reminds me of the breastfeeding issue in humans......do what works for you and your baby even if its a furbaby

I'm sure Charlie will be fine. I know it makes for a hard day. Sending happy thoughts!!!!
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I have always spayed and neutered our dogs at that 6 - 8 months age, per our veterinarian's recommendation. He was graduated from a well-respected vet school and I trust him on that. The dogs all lived to a ripe old age, too.

Every one of the dogs we had spayed/neutered came home that afternoon, groggy of course, and were back to normal by the next morning. The vets now have a better anesthesia, so the dogs come 'round much faster than they did twenty years ago.

I never fawn over any dog that goes for day surgery or procedure. My attitude (around the dog) is "business as usual" so that the dog doesn't pick up on any emotional trauma. We humans sometimes, without realizing it, teach the dog to be afraid of the vet. The decision is yours to take. Your dog won't hate you and he won't be crying when you leave, if you take the same approach. This way, in the long run, you are doing your dog a huge favor. He won't be afraid of the vet, who is really his friend. Our dogs never looked back when dropped off at the vet for the day; tails are wagging because mom is not upset and the staff will love on them.

All my dogs have loved going to the vet because I treat it like a trip to the park. Our Shih Tzu would almost fall asleep in my lap at the vet's!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    I can't really comment as my four are all girls and the only intact males in our group are Luke and myself and Luke is far too young
    and I am far too old to do any damage though Luke is now a faster runner than me .But back to a serious comment, with the girls I
    always believed the appropriate time for them was midway between their first and second season would that still be considered the
    best time. I do agree that sometimes a heated debate can be good as it gives an opportunity for others to read and educate from
    the researched comments from both sides .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian, no, most vets would recommend before the first heat as does that AKC Canine Health article by a vet. If you wish to do otherwise it falls outside the general recommendation but you may feel persuaded by other arguments. But the majority vet and welfare opinion, whether people have differing views or not, is very definitely not to wait for a dog to have a heat and thus have an 8% risk of the most common, and commonly malignant, canine tumour in bitches.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I consider premature neutering to be a very big mistake, healthwise for cavaliers. I consider this subject as important as the need for cavalier breeders to follow the MVD and SM breeding protocols.

There may be other reasons for it, like controlling assumed future bad behavior (for the convenience of owners with a lack of patience), but when you cut off one of a puppy's most important hormone producers prior to maturity, you risk interfering with the full development of the dog's immune system and its structural growth. By forcing the immune system to compensate for missing ingredients, you are getting that cavalier off to a very bad start in life. And the argument that early neutering only interferes with the growth of bones in larger breeds is bogus. It is like arguing that only cavaliers with small skulls will have Chiari-like malformation.

You may criticize the sources of some information, such as NAIA, but the content remains valid. And it is interesting that the most recent study, issued this year, finds that there is no valid evidence that early spaying reduces a bitch's risk for mammary cancer. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...1.01220.x/full

The problem with neutering is that if you find later on that you have made a mistake, it is too late to reverse it.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

I asked about neutering recently on the forum and had some very helpful advice.
    Leo is an intact lad who will be 6 years old next month. I was asking over a behavioural issue which thankfully hasnt been repeated.

My question is is it ever too late to neuter?
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meljoy View Post
    ... My question is is it ever too late to neuter?
    I don't think so, except if the dog's health -- like advanced MVD -- would be affected by the procedure.

We had a 10 year old male castrated a couple of years ago. He had a low grade MVD murmur, and his bloodwork allowed it. He had no bad consequences from the operation.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

To Rod..to Karlin..to everyone.
    I sincerely apologize for any drama here on the forum.
    I came to this forum awhile back because of my love for dogs. And also because I had a new Cavalier puppy and was anxious to talk w/ others who owned them as well. I was searching for a fun and casual atmosphere. I truly would love to stay...but I do not want to feel I cannot state an opinion if it is contrary to perhaps someone elses for fear of being slammed. I obviously do not know all there is to know about dogs. I am still learning things. So please bear with me.
    But if I can say this..I am not stupid concerning them either. We have owned and trained animals for many years.
    Thank you Karlin for being a "peacemaker".
    .and again...Rod.. I am sorry my post offended you.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    I don't think so, except if the dog's health -- like advanced MVD -- would be affected by the procedure.

We had a 10 year old male castrated a couple of years ago. He had a low grade MVD murmur, and his bloodwork allowed it. He had no bad consequences from the operation.
    Thanks Rod, thats good to know....although Leo may not agree
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DZee View Post
    To Rod..to Karlin..to everyone.
    I sincerely apologize for any drama here on the forum.
    I came to this forum awhile back because of my love for dogs. And also because I had a new Cavalier puppy and was anxious to talk w/ others who owned them as well. I was searching for a fun and casual atmosphere. I truly would love to stay...but I do not want to feel I cannot state an opinion if it is contrary to perhaps someone elses for fear of being slammed. I obviously do not know all there is to know about dogs. I am still learning things. So please bear with me.
    But if I can say this..I am not stupid concerning them either. We have owned and trained animals for many years.
    Thank you Karlin for being a "peacemaker".
    .and again...Rod.. I am sorry my post offended you.
    Dzee, you did not offend me. I just didn't agree with what you wrote, and because there was a very short time constraint -- the dog's appointment set for the next day -- I wanted the owner to understand that there are valid downsides to many veterinarians' love affair with premature neutering.

Just because a lot of vets are in favor of early neutering does not impress me by itself. Consider that 90% of vets who are delegates to the American Veterinary Medicine Association voted last month to condemn feeding raw food to dogs and cats. That fact just proves either their ignorance or their bias, or both. My hat is off to the other 10%.
    Rod Russell