• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

More training practice needed or the teenage stage?????

MomObvious

Fletcher and I are in between classes right now, we start back next month. I just had too much back to school kid stuff going on. He has learned several commands pretty well sit, down, leave it, recall (tho I will never trust him off lead outside), stay is still a work in progress. He also does back up, this is something I use at doors cause in the past Fletcher would run out with out permission. But the past few days he has been a total brat :shock: You all know I love him dearly. He has gone back to little puppy mode and is finding all kinds of things to chew (I don't even know where or what this stuff is) even after I go through the part of the house he is allowed free roam its still happening!!!! We had to move and then move again the baby gate that keeps him from going to the kids bedrooms because he kept finding a way under/over it. And the barking at anyone cooking in the kitchen!!!! That is brand new he has never done that ever. He's roaming around like "what can I get into or do now". Then just now he had a potty accident in the house directly in front of the doggie door!!! What?!?!?!?!!!!!??? Ahhhhhhhhh..........

So I started thinking what's changed? The kids all of them are back in school during the day, as some of you know Fletcher and my little 4 year old Mr. Monster are pretty good buddies. The weather and the kids being in school does have us swimming less but I have added another walk to our day. Fletcher and I walk Mr. Monster to and from school its exactly 1/2 mile and then Fletcher and I go in a longer walk every evening. I'm still feeding him twice a day some food. We practice commands a few times a day and he's still doing well with those, its the manners that seem to be slipping.

I hate to limit him back to being in his crate/space whenever I can't fulling 100% supervise him but that is what is happening. I'm just worried about the chewing. As for the barking at people in the kitchen fixing food (he barked and barked at my daughter this morning when she was making toast!) we have been putting and leaving him outside because his "space" is off the kitchen.

Anyway, if you have some suggestions or can even sympathize that would be great. Part of me thinks he missed Mr. Monster, or "someone" (my husband) has been sneaking him food when he's cooking, or if this potty accidents continue (as far only one) I'm going to need to call the vet just in case.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Hi Melissa....
Well...I don't have advice..so how about a ~HUG~? Honestly...Wrigley goes through stages like that. We have a little dog next door that when they let it out..it barks non-stop. Our dogs ignore it ( at least for the most part)..but it seems lately that Wrigley has been imitating the barking..and it drives me crazy!
I immediately have to call him back inside....when normally I would let him and Zeb run around the yard awhile to play.

I am sorry I don't have any answers for you. I am sure others most likely do anyway.My only thought is like what you mentioned..his little buddy being gone at school for the day. He just may not know what to think of it all yet & perhaps it has made him a bit nervous. Could be the cause for a few accidents as well. Hang in there sweetie *

Lady is just over 7 months and she has always been a chewer, but lately it seems even WORSE. Im the same as you...I have to supervise her constantly or she finds something to get into. She's now taken to chewing fabrics of all kinds including my grandmother's quilt!! Its not like she doesnt have enough toys but she always finds something she isnt allowed to eat. Personally...I think (and hope!!!!) its the teenage stage of being bratty. I have been really lucky though since I got Gracie, they play together really often so that keeps her somewhat occupied when Im not giving her 100% attention. One thing I have found that works for me when Im home but occupied and dont want to crate, I give them a dental stick (I use Zukes or GetNaked) or a bully stick, and that will keep them quite occupied for a bit (Not that Gracie gets into anything, the angel :p). Good luck, and I feel your pain :)

I can't remember how old Fletcher is. Is he an adolescent? Because their behavior definitely changes for the worse for a while. It's as if all their training goes out of their head and they're challenging you on everything. When my Golden went through this (actually, he's STILL going through it! :(), I went back to basics with his training. Just started reinforcing everything and repeating it. Especially started rewarding him for good behavior more often. You have my sympathy--but this too will pass!

All of my dogs have gone backward with their training a time or two. I just readjust and work with the dog. I ignore one potty accident but if it happens again I take them back to puppy basics. About the barking, I noticed with my dogs bad habits fade if they are not rewarded. I think he is just trying to keep you busy while the kids are gone....haha!

Sorry I didn't mention his age Fletcher is 7 months old.

Its just been a trying day. My teenager is sick, yes having a 16 year old sick is worse a sick husband (sorry guys) I had to go pick her up from school and run her to the doctor's. Eleven more days and she will have her driver's licenses and can drive herself next time. My middle child got in a little trouble at school today, pre-teen he is very hard on himself and blurted out a curse word loudly when he realized he forgetting his homework.......Whatever but hello, dump move kid. Mr. Monster has been on hyper-drive since I picked him up today. Which is extra nice since he had to run around with us to the doctor's and drug store. Oh and Fletcher began barking at me the second I started cooking dinner.......AHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh:bang: My husband is due home in one hour. I'm going to take Fletcher for a nice long walk. Then I'm going to come home and take an extra long bubble bath with ear plugs in my ears and a good book in my hands.h*lp

Oh wow sorry for the rant but I feel better already only 52 more mins until hubby walks thur the door. Poor him!

Chewing: make sure he has one or two really nice toys that he loves chewing, then when he chews what he shouldn't, remove the forbidden thing with a firm No, give him his own toy and tell him how good he is when he takes it.

Barking: tell him Quiet, and as soon as he pauses to catch his breath, say Quiet again, give him a treat and praise him. Timing is essential because you don't want to reward him when he's actually barking, but even noisy puppies have to draw breath! And no titbits accidentally falling off the counter unless he's quiet...

Hang in there...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I can relate to this problem! Jazz is 9 months and currently halfway through her first season and do I know it!!! Her barking has certainly increased, I can t even go upstairs without her making a fuss. And today her separation anxiety maxed out. We left her for @ an hour this morning, she was barking when we left, but she usually settles and we've being trying to de-sensitise her. Anyway, when we got home, she had chewed my rug in the living room! She never even did this as a little puppy!

I've got a few days off work next week and I've got to spend this time dealing with the separation anxiety, not only is she clearly distressed, but it breaks my heart to leave her in that state. I'm hoping that at least part of this is her increased sensitivity caused by the hormones!

but times like now, when she's curled into a little ball, sound asleep next to me, I just want to eat her up - she's so adorable!

For both these dogs -- a 9 month old is at the age where they want to chew like mad -- far more so than as small puppies. Also, this kind of demanding behaviour increases because they are smarter and know how to try to train YOU. :) Being in heat may add something to this but doubt this is too much more than her age.

Nicki i you don't have Ian Dunbar's free book After You Get YOur Puppy (at www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads ) I'd recommend getting it as it goes through the right approach to take to leaving a dog at home -- which generally involves time and training. Also -- she has too much freedom at this age if able to chew rugs! :) She is far safer in a puppy pen or say a kitchen where cupboards are secure and doors closed, with her crate to go into if she wants and a safe toy; a kong is a great idea (if you are going out don;t feed her in a bowl; put her meal into a Kong).

These dogs are likely to be serious chewers for the coming months as they strengthen puppy jaws and I'd get some good robust chew toys like nylabones and kongs. Or they will opt for rugs (which are dangerous and can cause intestinal obstructions). skirting boards, table legs etc. (y)

Dogs also really need training at this point (and they are not 'brats', just acting totally normally for dogs this age -- they are not mature and have not had the level of training at a mature age that they need to have self control. This take TIME and training. :) ). As Ian Dunbar's book notes, dogs at this age very normally become more challenging. A good time to go back and re=read Ian Dunbar if you do have this book! He does deal specifically with all of this. :D

Karlin, I've read some negative things about nylabones. I researched them after giving Lady several, and she seems to just eat right through them rather quickly. Is it okay to actually be consuming them? Because Lady can get off some pretty good sized chunks, its not that slow of a process for her. You'd think I owned a pitbull or something haha :p. I've given her the reallyyy tough ones but since they're so hard she really has no interest in them. Do you have any advice or suggestions for something durable but safe for a heavy chewer?

You have to get the size and chew strength to suit a given dog. A dog should not be able to chew through them -- that means they are either too small or are not hard enough. There are really rock hard plastic ones that only mega-chewers can chew through. If you have one of those then it means they have to be thrown out sooner. Same with Kongs. My partner and I have a hard chewer alsatian and he only gets the hardest Kong, the black ones. Takes him ages to chew through those.

It would be dangerous to give the softer ones to a dog that chews them into chunks. They can definitely cause a fatal intestinal obstruction like any other undigestible object be it fabric, string, pieces of rug, antler, large pieces of rawhide, leather, piece of clothing etc.

There are many chew items on the market for tough chewers.

Back