• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

To Rod Russell concerning spay/neutering

DZee

To Rod ( and others*)...
As you know...in another thread I firmly stated my thoughts regarding the appropriate age to neuter or spay your dog.
I still feel it is an individual choice...
HOWEVER... I have taken the last few days & spent MUCH time researching this topic further.
I humbly have to say I have been persuaded that "waiting" until maturity may be the BEST decision for our pets. What is a few more months anyway?
I know as long as I am alive... I will always have dogs.
So when the time comes again in the future..I do believe my decision will be to wait till maturity rather than do what we have always done..and that was have them spayed or neutered around 6 mo's.
See? There truly IS hope for me yet. I'm just a tad bit stubborn *!! :eek:
Diane

i missed the other topic. but am interested to hear everything...i have no idea when we nutered oliver. so this is totaly useful info for me!
you think around 6 months? what did you learn through your research?
educate me! :D please ? lol

i missed the other topic. but am interested to hear everything...i have no idea when we nutered oliver. so this is totaly useful info for me!
you think around 6 months? what did you learn through your research?
educate me! :D please ? lol

Hi Chelsea...
Please see this entire thread - Charlie is bring neutered tomorrow
In General Health & Diet section of the forum

In all the research I had done in the past..it was understood that around 6 mo's of age was the appropriate time.
It is still up for debate. There are PRO's and CON's w/ early spay and neutering. And it is an individual decision of the pet owner.
HOWEVER...after spending much time these last few days doing MORE research on the topic.. I have found that perhaps Rod is "correct" in saying that it is best for our pet to wait till they reach sexual maturity...which is around a year old or sometimes longer.

Last edited:
Hi Diane

As it happens, I support Rob's views on this, but top marks for being open-minded!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

There truly IS hope for me yet. I'm just a tad bit stubborn *!! :eek:
Diane

I really admire you. Not many people would have gone back & researched some more, let alone publicly admit they have changed their mind.

If I could I would shake your hand.

When it comes to females, I'm sticking to my guns and saying spay BEFORE first heat is best to avoid increased risk of cancers that come with having a heat (such as pyrometra and breast cancer). It is definitely a personal choice though, just do your research and weigh both sides to make an educated decision so that you can be comfortable with your choice. :)

Back