• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

They're here!!!!

I'm moving this to the puppy pictures section, which is more appropriate than the general news (y). If you want to keep all your posts on this together, you could also instead post them to your CavalierTalk blog and then you'd be able to go back and look at them in an easy to find cluster in the future. :)

That is so exciting!
They are looking nice and big and healthy!

What is the benefit to removing their dewclaws?
I have never had a dogs dewclaws removed, so am just curious :)

Wow those are good sized puppies!!!! The thing with dew claws is they are unless or people think and some people have them removed at birth as a precaution cause dew claws can get caught on things later in live. Personally I don't think it matters but......

The waiting time for when the puppies are born and you finally get to bring your baby home is the WORST!!!!! I know. You have puppy on the brain non-stop. I was ODC about planning for Fletcher to come home. I had to drive 6 hours to go get him and I think I sped the whole way :) Then I got to go met (and pick him out) and after I did I stayed at the shelter until it closed and cried when I had to leave him (I was picking him up in the morning) and I am not a crier!!!! Just remember this part too is "part of the dog owning experience". Hang in there time will fly by after you get her home :)

Removing dewclaws is generally seen as unnecessary by vets -- there are very few dewclaw injuries and in some breeds leaving dewclaws is actually IN the breed standard! which kind of makes a nonsense of arguments that it must be done for health reasons.

Removing them is increasingly becoming illegal in many countries. It will hopefully, become illegal in Ireland under the current animal welfare bill making its way through our parliament -- as will the horrific practice of declawing cats (very painful for cats and equivalent to chopping off the ends of your own fingers and toes from the last joint), cropping ears, and docking tails (a cosmetic amputation that is painful & typically done without anesthetic, & causes more injuries than ever occur from not docking, totally unnecessary even in working breeds). Tail docking is already in the bill. Irish Vet associations support adding a prohibition on the other practices :).

This is an informative article by an Irish vet:

http://www.lovemypet.ie/tail-docking/

In addition to, and in support of, a complete prohibition on tail docking, Veterinary Ireland has also asked for the following additional measures to be included in the Bill:

The showing of dogs docked after the introduction of the legislative ban on docking should be prohibited (as is the case in the UK). This is the best way to reduce the demand for docked dogs.
It should be an offence to take an animal out of the jurisdiction to have it docked, even if that procedure is legal in the other jurisdiction. This is similar to Scottish legislation, where tail docking is prohibited with no exceptions for working breeds.
In addition, dew-claw removal & ear-cropping in dogs and declawing in cats should also be specifically prohibited. This has also been requested by the Veterinary Council of Ireland.

Vets are already not supposed to carry out most of these procedures here.

About half the cavaliers I saw in rescue over the years had their declaws removed. Mine have them and I've never had an issue with them. :)

May I recommend a step in harness, wiggle little puppies remember!!!!

Totally agree with this!! I had one of the adjustable ones at first and it was a nightmare to take on and off! As for sizing for an adult, my 3 year old is about 12-13 pounds and she wears a small still but at its biggest adjustment. But you will probably need at XS until she about 6-7 months at least. I would say buy a cheap cat harness for when you take her home (btw, are you getting her at 8 or 12 weeks?) and get the puppia for when she is a bit bigger.

Thanks for the info karlin. I hadn't given it a second thought. But it's good to have the full spectrum. Oliver had his removed and it never bothered hom. I have seen photos of declawd cats and that looks painfully. I would never think about doing that to my boys. I agree on banning of tail docking and ears. They do that just for looks right?

Good idea on saving pupia for later. I have a pattern I've liked for months. But maybe it'll be there next year lol

I get her at almost 9 weeks. Only because I have to pick her up on a weekend. And the one before they isn't quite 8 weeks. We got Oliver at 12 weeks, so before that!!:)
I'll have the week off after that, and then be able to bring her to work. The idea of a play pen is fantastic. I'll be picking up one closer to that time.

It is soooo hard waiting. I have total puppy brain. Lol. Before it was 'will it be a boy or girl' now it's 'which is Maggie' haha
It's going to be one spoiled pup that's for sure!!

oh and i got news this morning..hte 2nd litter has been born. 6 healthy puppies. 4 girls and 2 boys.
i think my puppy is from the first litter but its still exciting.. 11 puppies when we go visit next week. 7 days!!! EEEK:D

Last edited:
Back