Thread: omeprazole and cimetidine

Post Thanks / Like

Question omeprazole and cimetidine

The algorithm (sp) on C. Rusbridge's website refers to those two drugs so I Googled to see what they are used for and found they are for stomach acid. What is the connection with SM and neurological pain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubles View Post
    The algorithm (sp) on C. Rusbridge's website refers to those two drugs so I Googled to see what they are used for and found they are for stomach acid. What is the connection with SM and neurological pain?
    This is from http://cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm#--_drugs

Drugs which reduce the production of cerebrospinal fluid, including proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec, Losec, Omesec, Zegerid), and the diuretics, furosemide (Lasix, Diuride, Frudix, Frusemide) and spironolactone (Aldactone), are reported to be useful to reduce intracranial pressure. Long term use of omeprazole is not recommended by some neurologists, as its long term use reportedly has increased the risk of stomach cancer in lab rats. Short term use reportedly can cause a "profound and sustained increase in serum gastrin concentration in dogs." See June 2011 report.

Cimetidine (Tagamet, Zitac), which is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist -- an antihistamine. Histamine contributes to inflammation and causes smooth muscles to constrict. Cimetidine is diffused into the cerebrospinal fluid and reportedly may contribute to reducing the flow of CSF. When taken with gabapentin, cimetidine also reportedly may increase the amount of gabapentin in the blood by decreasing its elimination. Therefore, when taken together, the dosages may require adjustment.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rod
    I've got a lot to learn.
    Sandra