• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question for titer testing in the U.S.

Remali

My Cavalier Bentley is 7 years old now, last time he had vaccinations he got a very painful and scary reaction. He is over-due for vaccines but I simply will now put him through that again, ever. I talked to the vet at the clinic I use (I may switch vets) about having titers done from now on.... his reply, "titers are very expensive, more expensive than vaccines; and there is only one place/lab in the U.S. that does titer testing." I find this hard to believe, especially the "only one place" that will run tests that the vets send in. Please help! Any information is very appreciated.

Hmmmmm I think that is wrong heck I know its wrong. The same labs that do titer testing do all kinds of lab work, even heartworm testing. I think using the titer testing is an excellent choice and a better choice. It gives you a better idea of what is needed or not. The cost is indifferent what does the vet care???? I would seek another opinion.

Hi,
I had titer testing done for my dog with Dr. Jean Dodds, contact her at her webpage www.hemopet.org for more info.
i had it done there because she also check for his thyroid yearly. It is not expensive.
Kitty

I would think there is only two reasons for titer testing. Peace of mind, and for proof for going to places that require immunizations but will take titers instead. Personally I would not spend the money for titer unless I needed it for proof on boarding. My boarding has finally said they will take that instead of vaccine proof. Titer testing is spendy and may not give good results. I have been told high titer are simply due to the dog being exposed recently and the immune system is working.

Are you planning on vaccinating if titers are low? And if so why? Your dog is considered a senior at 7 now and you know he had a bad reaction to his vaccines last time. I would not do anymore unless you are out alot in public with your dog then I would only do rabies as required by law.

Renee: Does your dog have a health condition, like MVD, which may legally, under your state's law, exempt it from future vaccinations?

Thank you for all the great replies everyone. No, I do not plan to get my dog vaccinated again, not ever. He is 7 years old now, and his reaction to the previous shots really scared me. I was mainly just asking for peace of mind, in case I do go somewhere where we may need titer testing proof (in place of proof of vaccinating). I'll admit I am even very nervous about giving him a rabies shot at this point. He is due for rabies, but I'm not quite sure I want to even risk a rabies vaccination. To my knowledge, and as far as the last vet check goes, he does not have MVD.

I don't board him, but I am thinking of perhaps taking him to a groomer (rather than doing it myself), altho I'm not sure of that right now, I may continue to groom him myself.

I would like to get a waiver for the rabies, I've read that the state I live in does allow for that. I may check into that further.

Again, thanks, like was suggested, I guess unless I plan to board him, and I don't, or go out in public a lot (and we don't), there really is not much reason for doing titers at his age now.

I was mainly curious as to how expensive titers were, and if more than one lab in the U.S. offered therm, since I was very skeptical of this new vet telling me that titers were "very expensive" and "only one place" does them here in the U.S., I felt the vet was giving me a line of you-know-what.

Back