Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to introduce free roam of house? If at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice set up, Shari.

Puppy xpens come in varied heights. Mine is about a metre high. Jaspar can jump that however!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the stars aligned today! Problem solved. I called another doggie daycare that I have had my eye on, but wasn't too sure about. They were the nicest that I've talked to yet (why are most of those folks so snippy?!) and were more understanding than the others about her not being spayed yet. They said 90% of their animals are fixed anyway, but that she will play with just girls until she is spayed. The other place I talked to didn't seem like they generally make that extra effort or care to at all. I am still going to experiment with the kitchen and better baby gate when I run errands for a short period of time. That may be a better way to introduce that anyway.

I dropped her off on my lunch break so we will see if she had fun when I pick her up after work!

Post Thanks / Like

I only like to give bully sticks when I can take them away when they get very short. Perhaps keep trying with the Kongs, with different stuffings. If her meal is contained in it, I'm guessing she'll eat it! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hoop View Post
    Well, the stars aligned today! Problem solved. I called another doggie daycare that I have had my eye on, but wasn't too sure about. They were the nicest that I've talked to yet (why are most of those folks so snippy?!) and were more understanding than the others about her not being spayed yet. They said 90% of their animals are fixed anyway, but that she will play with just girls until she is spayed. The other place I talked to didn't seem like they generally make that extra effort or care to at all. I am still going to experiment with the kitchen and better baby gate when I run errands for a short period of time. That may be a better way to introduce that anyway.

I dropped her off on my lunch break so we will see if she had fun when I pick her up after work!
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!! So glad you found a doggie daycare for her.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

What a great relief for you, she will love doggie daycare!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what's a bully stick?

And, I guess Bentley is quite the privileged boy. When he was 1 year old he had knee surgery; that night we couldn't get him through the door of his crate with the lampshade thing around his neck, so we put his bed in our room and he was never in the crate again! He has slept in his bed about 10 feet from our bed ever since. When he's alone, and we try to not leave him more than 3 hours, he has run of the house, except for one end that's blocked off. He finally became very reliable with his pottying, even when we were going through the awful trauma of our daughter's illness and death. The day of the funeral a few family members came to the house and he proceeded to pee AND poop on the carpet right after I told them he was trained. Several months went by and I felt it was safe to have the carpets professionally cleaned so he decided to christen the clean livingroom the next day. That was in May and he now only poops on the tile entrance hall, if at all, and never pees inside. He can really hold it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bully sticks are dried bull penis. Sounds NASTY, and they sure do smell nasty sometimes, but I've read they are one of the best chew sticks to use since they're all natural, good for the teeth and dont hurt the stomach like raw hide. They can be quite pricey though and you have to buy the thick ones if you want it to last, otherwise they just eat it quick like a treat and it really does no good. They turn soft and sticky though when chewed on so it can make a bit of a mess on fabrics :S. After reading advice on here though, I've recently starting giving deer antlers more often than the bully sticks.

Karlin, just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for rehoming rescues to those owning their own condo or apartment, but not to those renting?
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpell009 View Post
    Bully sticks are dried bull penis. Sounds NASTY, and they sure do smell nasty sometimes, but I've read they are one of the best chew sticks to use since they're all natural, good for the teeth and dont hurt the stomach like raw hide. They can be quite pricey though and you have to buy the thick ones if you want it to last, otherwise they just eat it quick like a treat and it really does no good. They turn soft and sticky though when chewed on so it can make a bit of a mess on fabrics :S. After reading advice on here though, I've recently starting giving deer antlers more often than the bully sticks.

Karlin, just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for rehoming rescues to those owning their own condo or apartment, but not to those renting?

Exactly why I prefer the antlers to the bully sticks the mess. And sorry but I have teenagers and they just cannot get over the bully "stick" thing
    I don't want to speak for Karlin but I would image not rehoming to renters is a two fold issue #1 are dogs allowed where they rent #2 renters do seem to move more often (most people tend get rid of their pets when moving or having a baby) NOT all but.....it happens.

Oh does anyone have a fav kong stuff recipe? Fletcher is not into them I have tried peanut butter, cream cheese even an egg (hard boiled) nothing....I wish he did like them tho
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Bully sticks are definitely all she will fool with. I have tried it all and wasted a LOT of money! But they really are so expensive. I've found luck with the long stick versions lasting at least a week. She devours the curly sticks in a day now. I don't find the bully sticks are a mess...but she usually will only eat them on the floor and I could care less about my carpet these days after potty training!

I am interested in the antlers. Hubby came home tonight saying he heard they may be good to try. I just can't imagine her trying to pick up the ones I've seen in the store and moving it around. She kind of likes something she can pick up and walk around and take to where she wants it...which is why she won't fool with most chew toys.

I am interested in good Kong recipes too. I need to try frozen peanut butter with kibble as suggested. I just keep picturing this awful mess and putting off for after we replace our carpet with wood floors. She's not impressed with what the store offers to stuff in them.

As for sleeping in the bed, I guess we are soft because she sleeps with us in the bed all night and takes over!!! Spoiled. I have no idea if that's bad for any reason, but I couldn't give it up at this point. She'll never sleep in that crate again!
    My guess as to why Karlin doesn't rehome to renters, besides the other reasons listed, is b/c of deposit worries. They may tend to keep their dog crated more than a homeowner for fear of getting into trouble with the landlords for messes and losing their deposit or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the smaller antlers that have been split, unless you are handy with a saw . My girls carry theirs around with them all the time! And they want access to the middle marrow-like stuff which the unsplit ones are harder to get to.

As a renter, I was just curious. My building is pet friendly (as are most in my city), and living in an urban centre, I pay probably double in rent than most people pay on their mortgages in the suburbs, so its not a matter of me being able to reliably provide for myself and my pets. To own a condo in this city, you pay mortage plus about $700 per month in condo fees plus your utilities not to mention the down payments required these days. I just dont see it as that great of an investment at this point, and I definitely dont want to live in the suburbs. I currently live a 10 minute walk from work, so that means I get to go home at lunch and have a very short commute time - therefore, more time with the dogs. If and when I ever move, I would never even consider the possibility of not bringing my dogs. I may be young, a renter, and will probably move in the next couple years, but in my opinion, that doesnt retract from my ability to care for my dogs.

I guess from a re-homing/rescue standpoint, moving around may create stress for a dog that has had abuse or abandonment problems in the past, so from that view I do understand. My girls are used to going everywhere I go though; they go on vacations, to friends houses, etc. so they are quite used to living in different environments and being around different people - and when I move they will move, too. A bit of a non-sensical rant but Im just trying to understand the reasoning .

On a side note, I spoke with a breeder once who refused to home puppies to people living in apartments. She didnt believe that a puppy could be house trained in an apartment. Hmmm...I guess the hundreds of dogs who live downtown just never have and never will be house trained.... (Using training pads, Lady was 95% potty trained in my apartment in ONE WEEK. At 9 weeks old. HA).

Oh man, I am so ADD today.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz