Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excessive drooling - vet fears SM??!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In your place, I really would make an appointment with a neurologist asap for a basic clinical exam, see what they say, and then go from there. I would not dismiss anything as a quirk. Especially as your vet has already suggested the problem may well be neurological. If she does have SM, you have the broadest range of choices when it is caught early. Sm typically will affect one side more than another. You are seeing a lot of correlation to the same side which to me would be flagging a serious need to have a neurologist check this out. If it isn't SM, to me this still sounds neurological.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    In your place, I really would make an appointment with a neurologist asap for a basic clinical exam, see what they say, and then go from there. I would not dismiss anything as a quirk. Especially as your vet has already suggested the problem may well be neurological. If she does have SM, you have the broadest range of choices when it is caught early. Sm typically will affect one side more than another. You are seeing a lot of correlation to the same side which to me would be flagging a serious need to have a neurologist check this out. If it isn't SM, to me this still sounds neurological.
    Thanks Karlin, very good points. That's what worries me the most...issues on the same side. We have a vet neurology team at a University near by. Lady has another ophthalmologist appointment next Monday. I think I'm going to look into the basic exam...I could possibly do both on the same day off of work. I think my vet wanted to try the medication trial and error first before she went for a neuro exam. Which would you recommend as a first step?

Post Thanks / Like

Little bit of an update...Lady has been drooling a lot less. I wanted to monitor her when her 'daddy' arrived home from his work trip to see if the onset of excessive drooling was a combination of him being gone and going to doggie daycare for the first time all 5 days. She has actually done a LOT better since his return and being home. We've also carefully noted when she IS drooling (though it's not nearly as much anymore) and we've seen the following pattern:

- extreme excitement (aka, daycare, other dogs, LOTS of people)
    - food. food. food. food. treats. food. cat food. people food. FOOD!
    - car rides
    - other anxiety...she doesn't like being 'gated' in the kitchen or anywhere for that matter. In her crate, she's fine...goes right to sleep...loves it. If she's secluded in a room she gets her feelings hurt and drools.

Besides these types of excessive drooling situations, she is barely drooling at all, just a tad. I have only seen the famous "droplets" when I took her on a car ride to get some fast food. car ride+food smell probably caused it. We have to take her in the car a lot, so we want her to get used to it.

As for the other symptoms, I kept interfering with her head/mouth scratching at night and now she has stopped. I haven't seen her do it in about a week. I think it mostly had become a habit. She hasn't rubbed her head on the carpet either. She is only rubbing head right before I give her her eyedrops...she anticipates them and tries to hide under pillows If I have to guess, I think the doggie daycare was not giving her her Genteal drops as I told them to...her eye was probably super dry when she was getting home from daycare.

Still perplexed. Off I go to walk Miss Diva.