• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Here we go again

rosemary

Since I have had prince who is 6 months he has had sickness and diarrea... Been backwards and forwards to Vet... I am now taking a 3 day sample of his poo on Tuesday.... TBH I hope I have not got a sick dog... My Ruby died 19 July and as I have been so upset my friends were saying go and get one to help you over her.... He is gorgeous but has me constantly worried.... I did not intend to replace Ruby but hoped he would help.... I do not work due to ill health so am under PDSA who I cannot fault but with this little fellow I feel something is really wrong in his tummy..... I hope sending off some samples will come up with something.... He has been on Hills Science (the best I am told) but he is even regurgitating that up..... So I have had him up for a few nights with sickness and diarrea.... Phoned emergency etc.. He's on boiled chicken and rice but still got runs..... Apart from all this he is a lively little boy.... Wants to play all the time so he is doing all the normal things for a 6 month old. Dont know what else to do ..... Dont want to change his food as I thought that was the best one xxx ????????? Rose :bang: :xfngr:

Hill's is far from the best, they are mid-range at premium prices. I would gradually move him to a high quality diet, and then if that doesn't fix it consider allergies: corn, wheat, chicken, etc.

Have you tried another protein? Chicken allergy maybe??? I don't know much about Hill's Science dog food but my brand Wellness makes a newer line of dog food for dogs with food allergies its called Wellness Simple made with limited good ingredients. Fletcher has been on the Wellness Core one he loves in a I like that I'm feeding him a food I know is rated high. Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Also if your vet has ruled out worms or some type of medical issue try plain canned pumpkin. I found that is clears up a case of the yucky tummy pretty fast.

Don't despair just yet! It could simply be a bug - when Oliver had a bout of diarrhoea a few weeks ago (his first time ever, aged 11!), the vet thought it might be an infection in the lower gut, something like salmonella or e-coli. Sending a sample to the lab would pick this up, then the vet can treat the specific bug. In Oliver's case, his runny tummy was due to something else and cleared up on its own, but I think puppies can acquire some bugs from their mother. Hope you can track down the cause, whatever it is.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

sorry he's worrying you so. speak with your vet about what food to transfer him to. I'm not sure where you live--I suspect UK?--so I don't know what's available to you. But there are many foods available formulated for sensitive tummies and the like. and although its a bit of a hassle, feeding him the rice and chicken isn't all bad either. you might want to try some boiled hamburger with rice for a couple days. if his stomach calms down, that might indicate a chicken allergy.

also, not to diss another member's post, but IMO take the information on dogfoodadvisor.com with a grain of salt. there is good info on there, but it pays to read the labels of the various food available (so many choices these days!) and make up your own mind. The woman who writes that blog is not a journalist, and I've read several stories on there with huge inaccuracies. She seems very opposed to large pet food companies, which is not useful because they are not all bad. Just my opinion.

I dont feed Hills Science Diet and wouldn't after reading this the other day ....

Apparently Science Diet has obtained a new patent for their pet food with a
method that would increase the shelf life of their products. It's coating that
consists of "low density polyethylene", which is basically PLASTIC!

There are better foods than Hills Science diet, but that doesn't mean the dog food is the problem. You said he has had tummy issues on and off. It could be coccidia or giardia, very common intestine infection that puppies will get. Sometimes Giardia will not show up on the test, something about the stage of the infection at the time of testing. My dog had giardia for a long time (loose stools, diahrrea) and his test were negative. We finally treated him with panacur for giardia and he got better.

Has your vet tried any medication for his diahrrea?

I had a similar problem with Charlie and just fed him boiled rice and chicken for a week with stomach settlers from the vet. I slowly weaned him onto burns dog food instead of wainwrights. He hasn't had a problem since.

:thnku:Thank you so much for all your replies.... I took a sample to Vet today and have to phone up at the end of the week.... Fingers crossed.... I am giving him chicken and rice at the moment.... Still some loose and some not so loose... What a worry these little doggies are lol cavtiny I appreciate all your comments and may (once we find out what is causing it) just go back to a JWB or try Burns..Or a sensitive tum one. Definately may come off Hills Science after reading that its coated in plastic YUK.... Thanks again for all your replies xxx

Two of mine just had 8 weeks of colitis. It wasn’t so much diahriah more constant straining and a bit blood in the poo. I had them first on chicken & rice that didn’t do anything (It normally does help) then I tried white boiled fish with rice that didn’t help. I hate saying this as I don’t like Science Hill but the Science Hill gastric ID food is the only thing that got them better. We send sample of for both dogs and it all came back clear. So to this day we don’t know what it was. Chappie is also good for an upset tummy.

Funny thing is my third dog that eats raw (my other two don't) had nothing wrong with her.

Back