Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pup and cat box,...hmmmm suggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pup and cat box,...hmmmm suggestions appreciated.

She hasn't even come home yet..shes only 19 days old..and im already stressing.

i have 2 cats, one is 16 ..the other is 2.
    the 16 year old has been introuduced to many pets over the years..including our last cavalier, oliver. hes going to be no trouble at all.

the little cat..meh..this is going to be interesting!

my issue is..my 16 year old cat..in the last few months..has stopped using cat box for #2 (uses it #1) . its a covered cat box. FINALLY i decided to try un covering it.
    suddnly the accidents have stopped.
    cover it back up..they start again.

so.. lid has to go..for now..
    but im brining a new puppy in..and i can see waht will happen already..

any suggestions?
    putting it up high is outa the question..16 year old whos having issues in the first place..he cant jump anymore..his bones are of an elderly humans.

i was thinking maybe in the bathroom cupboards (my vanity is huge..4 cupboards) but im not thrilled about that idea..and i dont know how the cats will take to that either..
    (i live in a 1 bedroom basement suiet..so i dont have hte luxury of trying other places..and my bedroom is closed to them..because the little cat is REALLY annoying at night.
    (plus pup will be in my bedroom at night)
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Misty views litter trays as "buffet boxes" which was a real struggle when we had an indoor cat. We tried moving the litter tray, but this upset the cat who was used to it being where it was, and we ended up moving it back to avoid accidents. I never really found a solution with Misty, so it always ended up with a race to reach it first.

You might have better luck with a puppy though. Murphy was trained to leave while he was growing up, and as far as I know never raided the litter tray for snacks. Misty on the other hand was already possessive of food and treats when we rescued her, and has never learned leave, no matter how hard we try. I think she was probably short on food before we got her so anything that smells like food goes straight in the mouth.

While your house training him, he wont be out of your sight anyway, so I'd just train him the litter tray is out of limits at the same time.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

At first its not going to be an issue because puppy cannot have the run of the place remember strick supervision is the key to house training. So its a good thing the pups are in the big side hopefully when she is old enough to have some freedom around the apartment you can use something to keep the bathroom door open just wide enough for the cats to get thur but not the puppy.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like once they get a taste they are all for it.

I have an older cat (11 yrs) and I have been wondering the same thing when she is too old to jump into her covered box. Right now everything is going great because her litter is in a box with a door at the top. She can get in and dogs stay out. Maybe you will get lucky and your new pup will be so obedient you won't have a worry.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this somewhere you can put a baby gate to the area with the litterbox, maybe the walk through kind? This is our solution for our upstairs (the cat stays up there, Rose isn't allowed-Smoochie- 13 years, and Bean, 16 years, hop over). You may be able to pick up a gate for a decent price at the thrift store/garage sale/kid's consignment sale. They have pressure mounted walk through gates, so you don't have to make any holes in your doorway trim. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...%20baby%20gate

They also have play yards and fireplace gates to give the cats a "safe" area to use the litterbox, and keep the puppy out should he get out of sight for a minute- I found a fireplace gate at a consignment sale for $40 . http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Metal-P...fireplace+gate

But if your kitty doesn't jump at all, I'm kinda at a loss myself for anything other than strict supervision, since I'm guessing an automatic litterbox isn't an option either? The one I have works great, but since it is a dome, I don't guess it will work for you? I got this one because one of my other old cats (who has since passed on) started refusing to use a "previously used" box, and I couldn't keep up with scooping after every cat (4) every time to make her happy :/ http://www.litter-robot.com/ . They sell refurbished ones for a nice discount, same warranty, for future reference if you're interested . They do make open top automatic litterboxes though, might be worth checking here for a good one: http://www.litterbox-central.com/litter-box/

Post Thanks / Like

maybe ill look into the auto boxes.. i saw one at a store thats closing out..
    i think its going to have to be a strict supervision thing.
    my mum suggested putting up a baby gate (dividing the livingroom off from the bathroom and bedroom, when we get home from work..cats get bedroom bathroom and we get livingroom ..then removing it when we go to bed (as cats are not aloud in bedroom)

i dont know how meeko will take to that (simba can jumpi f he wants) but its worth a try.

i LOVE him to pieces..but what 'good' timing to quit using a covered box.
    i loveee the idea of a box that opens from the top..but that wont help us at the moment. THAT is an idea i will look into in the future though
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I use the baby gate solution the Furrfoot mentions in the post. It has worked well and now that BB is larger I may move to one with an opening that Simi (cat) can fit through but BB cannot. Simi is 9 years old and seems to be avoiding jumping but no litter box issues yet! I do think it is important to not let the puppy develop a liking for the litter box - it will help keep things under control more easily. Good luck and share your solution once you get it down, may help us all live in peace with our Cavs and cats!!!!
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

I will let you know how it goes. Still have 43 days till i pick her up
    I like the idea of an opening for cats once Maggie gets bigger.
    Maybe put the gate higher on the wall. Cats can slide under but not pup.

I remember with Oliver, we had a large 2 story house. Cat box was downstairs in the bathroom (and cats didn't care it was covered) and Oliver's gate was at the top of the stairs. Cats could jump or climb. Had some funny memories of Max trying to climb.
    If he ever got or went downstairs, it wasn't cat box it was the food he was after. God, that's another thing ill have to figure out lol
    Ah if these are my challenges in life..I'll take them!!
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

43 days too cute you know exactly
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super Princess View Post
    I will let you know how it goes. Still have 43 days till i pick her up
    I like the idea of an opening for cats once Maggie gets bigger.
    Maybe put the gate higher on the wall. Cats can slide under but not pup.

I remember with Oliver, we had a large 2 story house. Cat box was downstairs in the bathroom (and cats didn't care it was covered) and Oliver's gate was at the top of the stairs. Cats could jump or climb. Had some funny memories of Max trying to climb.
    If he ever got or went downstairs, it wasn't cat box it was the food he was after. God, that's another thing ill have to figure out lol
    Ah if these are my challenges in life..I'll take them!!
    Rose fits through the cat door to upstairs, and would fit through the baby gate pet door ones too, just fyi (she's about 17-18 lbs). The putting it up off the floor a bit might work, just don't hurt yourself going through/under! :P