• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coco - Anal Glands Emergency Op

Tania

We had a bit of a scare with Coco last night, her breathing became very laboured and I was concerned she was going into heart failure. Coco has a grade 5 heart murmur, her heart chords have already started to rupture.
We managed to get her to the vet before he closed.
The vet gave her furosemide in case fluid was building up in her lungs, even though he couldn't hear anything.

Coco has been behaving every strange today, sitting in an odd position and when I picked her up this evening to check her, she screamed.

Once again I got her straight down to the vet before he closed a few minutes ago.

Coco has an abscess in one of her anal glands which must me incredibly painful!

They have sedated her and going to flush it , hopeful she should be home in a few hours.

8059900844_a6c85c6100.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh my goodness!! poor little coco, she must have been in agony,hope she makes a speedy recovery , sending lots of hugs and kisses. Karen,Ruby and Sadie xxx

Poor little girl....how incredibly painful for her; hope she is more comfy now and back home - best wishes from us xx

Poor little thing. We have had this with Leo and I know how awful it is for them.

Gentle hugs to you both :hug:

These anal gland problems in Cavaliers cause so much discomfort for them, there
just does not seem and clear cut answers so stop them from filling up.

Poot little mite hope she recovers soon.

Nanette

Not good.
We have been to the emergency vet this afternoon to get some further pain relief. They gave her Vetergesic. I am also having to give her water with a syringe as she is dehydrating.
At this precise moment she is sleeping quietly for the first time since the ordeal started.

Not good.
We have been to the emergency vet this afternoon to get some further pain relief. They gave her Vetergesic. I am also having to give her water with a syringe as she is dehydrating.
At this precise moment she is sleeping quietly for the first time since the ordeal started.

Poor little girl. The vetergesic should knock her out for a while and give time for the pain to subside a little. I think you both must be needing a good night's sleep.

Coco is not any better at all. I have used a syringe to get some water into her. As soon as she takes a few steps she flops down and moans. Does anybody know if this is normal? I would have expected her to have improved a bit by now.

I'm so sorry that Coco is still not feeling well. Will continue to keep her in my thoughts and hope you start to see improvement soon.

Poor little one. I'm sure she's a little confused as well. The taking a few steps and laying down could just be the pain meds. I know when I'm on a painkiller I feel pretty drunk (for a better word) and most do not make me tired. So I'm just a bit of a fool :) I hope that's all it is and she's feeling better soon.

Poor little Coco, how is she today? I hope that the pain has started to subside and the glands are beginning to heal. My heart goes out to both of you. It's so hard when there seems to be very little you can do and why do they always get sick at the weekend when the regular vet isn't available?

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this. Is she doing better today? I agree that she is probably just a little taken aback by the whole fiasco and if you throw pain meds on top of it I'm sure she just feels all around lousy.

Our little one also has gland issues, I believe. Our vet said she had quite a bit for such a young age and to keep an eye out. It seems like we have to empty them a lot and she often tries to nip her butt and drag it every few weeks. Thankfully my husband has learned to empty them himself or we would be spending a pretty penny! Today when I got home from an errand she had her tail tucked between her legs, mildly shaking and didn't want to sit on her bottom...then scooted. Are these symptoms you noticed before she was in a lot of pain and had emergency surgery? These fur babies sure keep us on our toes!

Back