• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy with a cold?

Nix105

Hi, I think Jazz has a cold! It's the first time I've ever noticed a dog with a cold. Since Friday, on return from daycare she was typically tired but I noticed her nose was runnier than usual. Over the weekend she's been more tired than usual so I've limited her walks so she's not exhausted. Anyway, she's sneezing quite a bit, no cough so I'm fairly certain it's nothing more serious like kennel cough. (She is vaccinated but I'm told like flu, not all strains can be vaccinated against).

anyway, any advice? She's eating and drinking ok, wants lots of cuddles! Should I just let it take its course? She's 9 months and just through her first season. Just a bit concerned as she's still a pup.

It's possible she could have an allergy. Is she eating and drinking OK? If she is still this way tomorrow, I would at least give the vet a call. Hope she feels better soon.

Agree. If these aren't symptoms you normally see (mine gets a sneeze and sniffle with nose when she's really excited) I would have her checked by the vet. I'm sure it's a mild cold. Mine had kennel cough and then a relapse...I'll never forget that cough and the nighttime breathing as long as I live! I lost sleep making sure she was breathing okay!

Def would check with a vet. The mild runny nose would worry me less than listlessness/tiredness alongside it, which is unusual for a 9 month old puppy. Best to be safe. (y)

I don't know if you have Bordatella there (Kennel cough) but if so, I would think this might be it and given she was in daycare, she might have gotten it from another dog.

That said, I would definitely go to the vet, but when you make the appointment, I would be sure to point out the symptoms of a could that you are seeing. Many vets will ask you to take the last appointment of the day since this can be contagious and they like to sanitize afterwards.

Just a quick update, I waited another 24 hours and I'm pleased to say that the sneezing has all but stopped and jazz is all back to normal.

I certainly would have taken her immediately had she coughed but mercifully nothing materialised.

and as for tiredness, I think this coincides with jazz having gone through her first season and is acting much less like a lunatic puppy! Still plenty of energy but more rest periods in between these days!

i think because I've not had children, I tend to worry more than most owners!

Back