• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sonny's has some change coming!

ashleighelizabeth

I am pregnant and getting nervous about how Sonny will do with the baby. We have read the links on here and a lot of other things about dogs and children, but I am just a little nervous because of Sonny's past guarding tendencies. We still have a bit of time until the little one arrives, so hopefully we will have worked with Sonny enough by then that he is ready for his new little friend. :)

I think its only natural to worry about your "other" baby when bring home a new one. There are a lot of books and info out there about bringing a new baby home with a beloved pet at home too just keep reading and learning. Personally, I think the whole leaving Sonny part to go have the baby is the hardest.....even if its only 2 or so days. I would find someone to dog sit and start leaving Sonny for a bit as dry run. Also newborn babies are boring other than crying and taking away your attention ;) There won't be too much interaction between baby and Sonny at first so they can grow into a relationship.

I was concerned about how Howard would react when the baby arrived as he was still young and had gotten used to a lot of home comforts, such as having free reign of my lap etc.

In the first few weeks I let him get used to the new smells and sounds and never complained or tended when he got close to Hugo, but just acted normally and praised him when he settled down and paid no attention whilst he was actively sniffing. Of course I'd never dream of leaving them alone together, just as I wouldn't leave him with my 4 year old.

This was then when Hugo was 2 months.

724ca4c4.jpg

Howard adores the baby and now he's 6 months, Hugo adores Howard.

75D6C8F8-9C8B-403C-9A98-D2555B73B774-2274-000002BEB61CA778.jpg

Congratulations with the baby. Just take it slow and simple.

Back