Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New guide for PSOM in cavaliers

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default New guide for PSOM in cavaliers

    Ohio State University's Dr. Cole publishes definitive guide to PSOM in cavalier King Charles spaniels.
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/psom.h..._guide_to_PSOM
    Rod Russell

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia USA
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So basically when a cavalier has an ear infection (PSOM- which I know it not like a simple take your medicine and you will be fine human kind of ear infection) it doesn't "look" like an ear infection in other breeds? Sorry to "dummy" down this important info but its good to know since most of us and always on the radar for the best up to date health CKCS news and information.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MomObvious View Post
    So basically when a cavalier has an ear infection (PSOM- which I know it not like a simple take your medicine and you will be fine human kind of ear infection) it doesn't "look" like an ear infection in other breeds? Sorry to "dummy" down this important info but its good to know since most of us and always on the radar for the best up to date health CKCS news and information.
    Cavaliers get ear infections just like other breeds, and the symptoms of those infections would be just like in other breeds. PSOM is not an infection, but it may have symptoms that make it appear to be an infection.

    In a way, PSOM is as insidious as CM/SM. Both of them may have symptoms which mimic those of other, more common disorders. To make matters worse, the symptoms of PSOM and CM/SM may mimic each other, and it is not unusual for a cavalier to have both CM/SM and PSOM.

    But to really be sure whether your cavalier has PSOM (or has SM), you need to have an MRI or CT (computed tomography) scan performed. PSOM is progressive, and if it is in an advanced stage, the vet may be able to diagnosis it with a hand-held device.
    Rod Russell

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia USA
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh like a lot of other progressive illnesses finding it early can help a lot.... I understand the relationship now. Ok now silly blonde question do you think we are discovering that the malformation in the cavalier skull causes this PSOM issue as well? If so that would lead me to think maybe there are other unknown problems. Again our poor breed the longer I love this breed the more helpless I feel for the future of them. Sometimes I feel like I own the last generation of a T-rex or something.....
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MomObvious View Post
    ... do you think we are discovering that the malformation in the cavalier skull causes this PSOM issue as well? ...
    In a July 2010 study report, UK researchers found an association between PSOM and brachycephalic conformation in cavaliers. In their report, they find, "in CKCS, greater thickness of the soft palate and reduced nasopharyngeal aperture are significantly associated with OME [otitis media with effusion, meaning PSOM]."

    But, PSOM is common only in the cavalier. It has been found in three other breeds, like 9 boxers, one dachshund, and one shih tzu. So, it is not a widespread brachycephalic problem. But it could be related to the cause of Chiari-like malformation because so many cavaliers are found to have both CM/SM and PSOM. Then, again, nearly all cavaliers have CM and most have SM, so that combination may not mean much.

    I don't know about other breeds, but here is a list of genetic disorders that either are unique to the CKCS or are much more common in the CKCS than most other breeds:

    Mitral valve disease
    Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia
    Idiopathic asymptomatic thrombocytopenia (low counts of blood platelets)
    Macrothrombocytosis (oversized blood platelets)
    Cerebellar infarcts (strokes)
    Dry eye
    Curly-coat syndrome
    Abiotrophic sensorineural deafness
    Eosinophilic stomatitis
    Episodic falling syndrome
    PSOM
    Masticatory muscle myositis
    Chronic pancreatitis
    Rod Russell

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Good news for UK cavaliers

    Good news for UK cavaliers: The Royal Veterinary College has commenced an ear, nose, and throat refferal clinic at the Queen Mother Hospital for Animals in London, headed by Dr. Gert ter Haar. Services include advanced diagnostics and treatment for PSOM in cavaliers, as well as CT and BAER diagnostics for deafness (plus hearing aid implants for selected patients), and diagnostics and treatment of cavaliers with brachycephalic airway obstruction syndrome (BAOS).

    Telephone 01707 666 365 for more information.
    Rod Russell

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    In a July 2010 study report, UK researchers found an association between PSOM and brachycephalic conformation in cavaliers. In their report, they find, "in CKCS, greater thickness of the soft palate and reduced nasopharyngeal aperture are significantly associated with OME [otitis media with effusion, meaning PSOM]."

    But, PSOM is common only in the cavalier. It has been found in three other breeds, like 9 boxers, one dachshund, and one shih tzu. So, it is not a widespread brachycephalic problem.
    I find this interesting and may start a topic on BOAS, but I want to ask a couple questions.

    I know even after surgery PSOM can come back. Elton had an MRI after age 5 and did NOT have PSOM. Not that I am worried but is this something that can happen later in life? What I'm trying to ask is you mentioned it is progressive but if one does not have the issue at 5 is it something one should not be concerned with?

    I feel Elton has BAOS because even before I adopted him, I was told he has a reverse sneeze which I think is associated with BAOS. Like CM/SM all these conditions are so confusing. I had a cavalier with severe CM/SM and one with very mild CM only and both did not show PSOM on the MRI?
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    ... I know even after surgery PSOM can come back. Elton had an MRI after age 5 and did NOT have PSOM. Not that I am worried but is this something that can happen later in life? What I'm trying to ask is you mentioned it is progressive but if one does not have the issue at 5 is it something one should not be concerned with?
    I think that if a cavalier has not developed PSOM by age 5 years, he is very unlikely to do so in the future. While PSOM gets worse over time, I think that the conditions for its start are there either before or soon after maturity.

    Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    ...I feel Elton has BAOS because even before I adopted him, I was told he has a reverse sneeze which I think is associated with BAOS. ...
    Nearly every one of our cavaliers has reverse sneezed from time to time. Not all reverse sneezes calls for palate surgery. But if your dog reverse sneezes often, or cannot pull himself out of a reverse sneeze, he may be a candidate for the surgery. I sure hope not, though, because just reading about soft palate surgery makes me gag.
    Rod Russell

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    2,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Nearly every one of our cavaliers has reverse sneezed from time to time. Not all reverse sneezes calls for palate surgery. But if your dog reverse sneezes often, or cannot pull himself out of a reverse sneeze, he may be a candidate for the surgery. I sure hope not, though, because just reading about soft palate surgery makes me gag.
    It is very often and sometimes I can't get him to stop. I tried your trick of closing his nostrils and lowering his head and teach him to breathe through his mouth. Sometimes helps but not very often. He also gags and coughs which I started to think coughing was heart related. Will find out soon and see vet about BAOS. Thanks and sorry to move off topic.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Just to note, have been told this is not a study limited to UK breeders, but is open to international participants (Dr Rusbridge titles it an international study for her blog post . So anyone interested in participating internationally should contact researchers. So far there is the ability to do the measurements in the UK (so irish breeders could travel); Australia and at least some of Europe. There would be hope to get someone also in North America I would suspect.

    http://clarerusbridge-news.blogspot....archer-at.html
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •