• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS)

anniemac

I wanted to start a topic on this. I posted yesterday that I thought Elton had BAOS. I might have said he did have this but I don't think a vet has ever diagnosed him. Like I mentioned yesterday his reverse sneezing is really bad and can last minutes and he sometimes has a hard time getting air.

Reading more on it from www.cavalierhealth.com "The symptoms may vary and range in severity, depending upon which abnormality is causing them, but they typically include labored and constant open mouthed breathing, noisy breathing, snuffling, snorting, excessive snoring, gagging, retching, exercise and/or heat intolerance, general lack of energy, pale or bluish tongue and gums due to a lack of oxygen." Some of the symptoms don't match. He with snort but does not have excessive snoring, lack of energy, bluish tongue, etc. The symptom I was really looking for was coughing. One of the symptoms I read on another site was accelerated heart rate. I am mainly concerned about his heart. He has been a gagger but the coughing is getting frequent and I can feel his heart beat really fast. The vet has never said he has a murmer but he is going to see a cardiologist in November.

Here are my questions.

1) Is it pretty easy for a vet to diagnose? I know Rod mentioned on another post surgery is not simple so that is something I need to think about.

2) Does anyone have a cavalier that has this condition and what did they do about it?

3) The only people I heard that had their dogs have surgery (one was a bulldog and the other a cavalier) said they didn't notice a difference. I can tell you that I lived with the bulldog and that was excessive snoring.

I know people will say just to go to the vet (who I frequent) but I want to know what to ask and would like more information especially on the coughing and rapid heart beat.

Thank you

Hi Annie

Thankfully never come across this ,but its good to see you here as we dont hear much from you and Elton .

Best Wishes

Brian and Popp,Daisy,Rosie and Lily:)

Brachycephalic Airway Obstruction Syndrome (BAOS) encompasses any of several different disorders, including an elongated soft palate (the most common version for cavaliers), and stenotic nares, and everted laryngeal saccules, and laryngeal collapse. There are others, but those four are the most common in the CKCS.

So, you first have to figure out which of those four or more disorders are the cause of the breathing difficulties. Only then can you proceed to how to treat the problem.

Molly would do this, I just called it hyperventilating, excessive snorting when excited. I would lift up her lip to allow air to get in, when I asked the vet they said to do that very thing.

The vet tech at my vet office has a french bulldog that had surgery for this. He is doing great. I personally don't have any experience. I can't even remember why it was brought up but she brings her dog to work with her.

Hey Brian,

I have been on CT but just don't post like I used to.

I actually tried what you suggested Sins and I think it is helping. So thank you

My Bentley gets a mild version of this occasionally. It scares the heck out of me when it happens. I've read that some people hold the dog's head downward to help this, altho I am not exactly sure what the correct thing is to do (I would like to hear what others do). I've also read that needing surgery is fairly uncommon, and most dogs do not need surgery (I hope that is true, it's just what I read).
'

Back