• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Apollo - Cavalier? Help me!

P

PadgeMC

Hi, I adopted a rescue dog back in July. He was in an awful condition then; double ear infection, covered in hair mats, underweight, overgrown nails...ugh.

After a few months on a proper diet and grooming [5lbs of mats shaved off] he's healthy and energetic and quite the opposite of the little guy I adopted a few months ago.

I adopted him under the impression that he was a cocker spaniel. They said they picked him up near a breeder known to just dump dogs when they weren't useful anymore.

Lately though I've been wondering if he's a cavalier. The only issue is that he has a docked tail. Other than that, he is WAY smaller than what a cocker spaniel should be and ... well I'll let the the pictures speak for themselves.

I have a lot of pics so I'm just going to use links, is that okay?

His "Pound" Picture, the picture that I fell in love with. I actually adopted him long before I ever met him. I just got to go pick him up and sign the last document. The first time we met was when I was putting his brand new collar and leash on.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/229825_10151193045624089_1136260234_n.jpg

Car ride home!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151193046374089&set=oa.117999351687439&type=1&theater

His first hour at his new home. I put the bows on him.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/208155_10151193045584089_1125925316_n.jpg

What he looked like after being shaved down and gaining a few pounds.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/579201_10151193046219089_2006567662_n.jpg

After bath time:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/377285_10151135927824089_1365217535_n.jpg

His own bed (not that he sleeps in it)
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/304612_10151093463969089_335862191_n.jpg

Him and me on the day we found out he officially hit a healthy weight!
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561549_10151175148014089_1301183691_n.jpg

So what do you think? Am I crazy or does he have some cavalier in him?

im no expert..id say maybe a combo of both though? he is the colourings and size of a cavalier..but he definitley looks like he has some cocker in him.
he is BEAUTIFUL, he is so lucky to have you :)
Welcome to the board, im Chelsea :)
Can't wait to hear more about your adventures with Apollo!! :)

It's so hard to get a picture of him sometimes he's either sleeping or running around. I'll try to get some more full body shots. He looks a lot different now that his fur is coming back in and he's gained weight and muscle. He looks like a proper dog now.

In the first picture, he especially looks a lot like cavalier, but in the other pictures it seems like he could be a mix. Whatever he is, the first thing I saw, was how handsome he is and lucky to have been rescued by you.

Tell us more about him. Do you know his approximate age?

He's approx 3. He was obviously handled before because when you pick him up and put him on a table like at the vet's, he stands perfectly still. You can lift his lips and inspect his mouth and he'll stand perfectly still. The vet said it also looked like his teeth had been professionally cleaned recently. Same for shots. When he was microchipped the vet tech put a muzzle on him because he was "afraid" of cocker spaniels and possible mixes biting him... Apollo sat there and didn't even bat an eye.

The more his coat comes in the more it looks like a cavalier than a cocker, and he has such long legs. We met a cocker spaniel rescue group during a charity event and the lady told me no way was he a cocker, and she told me thought he was an ill bred cavalier. That's what got this idea in my head.

I honestly could care less what he is, but in case of medical problems to watch out for, I'd like to at least have a best guess.

du8umavu.jpg

Thank you for the help :)

He looks like maybe a mix but with more cav than cocker. He is so adorable! Glad he has found a good home :)

Not the right build for 100% cavalier, and a very heavy head; but for his size, could well be a cocker/cavalier cross (cockalier) which are one of the more common mixes. There are B&T cockers and ears etc look far more cocker to me. It's always very hard to tell as you can mix two quite different dogs and have the offspring look mostly like one side. I have pics here of puppies from a rescue cavalier I took in that you'd think were labs!! They look exactly like labs -- the only thing cavalier about them is they are reddish rather than gold. I also once saw a dog that looked exactly like a cavalier with very short legs -- must have been a dachshund or corgi cross but you'd have thought it was a cavalier except for the telltale legs! I'd say your handsome fellow is definitely part cocker, if not a small cocker (you can get dogs well short of and over breed standards as we know with cavaiers!). I'd doubt he is cavalier mixed with something else -- besides very possibly being a cockalier that is. You might try googling for pics of cockaliers for comparison and see what you think?

I think its funny the cocker lady told you she thought he was an "ill bred cavalier" kinda an icy comment. I could just image that comment coming from a yellow haired lady in a designer Juicy pink sweatsuit wearing she is way too old for with full out glam makeup LOL I bet I have some of that right:/ However, I think your dog is a cavalier cross with a wanna be cavalier you were probably correct in thinking he's a cavalier/cocker but at the end of the day who cares. You love him dearly and you both were lucky to find each other. So welcome to cavaliertalk he sounds cavalier enough for us. I think he's super cute too.

However I just have to ask how come the vet didn't realized he was neutered at his first visit excuse me but boy "parts" are on the outside. I would think checking would be part of the physical exam :rolleyes:

She was very nice. She ran a cocker rescue and actually gave me some great tips about socializing Apollo more as he is ONLY friendly towards cavaliers and cockers. I think she meant he wasn't very breed standard towards anything besides absolutely adorable. She had her rescue cockers with her and they were giant compared to Apollo. He's only 12" at his shoulder.

And yes, I'm pretty sure now he's a mix. It's funny because before I adopted him I found this really great breeder for cavaliers. She was really nice about me adopting instead of purchasing one from her. She's keeping my record on file in case I ever return for a cavalier.

As for the neutered thing... He was so matted I didn't fault my vet at all. And to be fair we did think he was neutered as that's what the shelter had told me and that's what his paperwork said. It was hilarious when I went to get him at the groomers and they told me he had a "surprise".

Although it greatly explained his love of humping my leg. Thankfully that ceased the day he got neutered!

Thank you so much for all the help and compliments.

Edited for spelling because autocorrect on my phone is ridiculous.

Last edited:
My wife reckon she knows what exactly Apollo is - a breed called "an awesome friend"'. He is just so handsome and looks every bit a protector - you are both lucky to find each other.

:)

Thank you! He is indeed. Like I said, it was more out of curiosity and just to watch out for health problems that pop up in breeds.

Was posting from my iPad yesterday and couldn't post a picture using that...came back to try to show you my Tess. But I haven't figured out how to insert a picture into a message on this forum, so I created a small album. If you click on my name, you get to my profile and see the album there.

I think your sweetie looks a lot like mine. Yours has more of a cocker head IMO--the nose shape and length, etc. But the body looks very Cavvie to me.

You should do a DNA test, for fun, if you can. I've heard the less expensive ones (about $65, from a cotton swab) are not so accurate but the more expensive ones (about $100, done from a blood draw) are pretty good.

hi Emkaybee, when you post using your iPad there should be 3 little icons just above the keyboard. If you click on the middle one it should take you to your photo stream/camera roll. then just tap on the photo that you want to include. If its not showing it might be that you need to install an update.
6unaba8e.jpg

Glad to hear that Apollo found a loving forever home, what a handsome fella indeed!

He looks like a mix to me as well. We had a Cocker many years back..and your little guy has the same head shape & body as ours was. Although he looks like a black & tan Cavalier too. Yep..no expert either..but I would definitely say you have a combo.
He is super cute* !!!

Back