Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advice please...

Post Thanks / Like

Awe..thank you all so much for the encouraging comments.
    Jake ( his new name) & Wrigley actually played together for the 1st time this morning...which was wonderful to see.
    Zeb has been really good w/ him..'cept he tried to "hump" him. Which was NOT too cool !!.. considering he is 108 lb lab and this little guy is only 26 lbs! :/ Not sure what that was all about. Guess he was letting Jake know he is top dog...
    but I let Zeb know..ahh..nope...> I AM !!!

I thought Jake looked like he had more of a terrier face as well...but the Vet said Labradoodle.
    I have googled & researched various pic.'s....and he looks like many I have seen. After all...they are not a true breed.
    His back ( fluffy & wavy) & tail ( as it curls up) look very much like a Standard poodle. His snout also has the long look like the poodle as well. But I think the hair around his face is sort of a mixture between the poodle & lab....giving him a bit of a terrier look.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Jake is a blessed little fellow!

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to share....
    Jake is doing quite well considering. He still has seperation issues..but he has taken a few baby steps..and even that is improving. He will now go in and out of his crate ( we leave the door open after we feed him in there.
    I have also been practicing leaving him in the bathroom w/ the door shut for few min. intervals..and he is slowly coming around to not whining and scratching at the door right away. It is just going to take time.
    Having " standard poodle" in his blood is a plus for him..as he is understanding things quickly.
    I also want to share this.... Wrigley has found a new friend. He and Jake run chasing each other and playing now..and it is super cute. Wrigley is sort of the life of the party. He is so feisty that he gets everyone going. He will go grab a toy and entice either Zeb or Jake to chase him. What is funny?...when they are running?....Wrigley is soooo fast..that he can change directions on a dime..and Jake will almost do a somersault to catch up. It is hilarious.
    Zeb caught on to that a long time ago...so he just stands and watches. he is still doing the "humping" thing tho. But I believe it is just due to being excited. I try to distract him..and it seems to work.
    This is all going to take time ..so I appreciate you keeping me in your thoughts. Jake's separation anxiety is severe..he will not go out to "P" without me. But he will go right away... I just have to stand by him. He being a pup...I think is an advantage for me. He is learning quickly to trust that no one is going to abandon him..and w/ patience and loving reinforcement..he'll learn everything else.
    Any suggestions...are appreciated....
    *THANKS*
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Just read through this thread. Wanted to say I've just gotten a spur of the moment dog also! I heard about a golden who needed a home on another forum, looked into it, and decided to take her if her owner chose me. He did, so I now have two GRs. My family thinks I'm insane, but it's working out very nicely. Bella (new dog) entertains Tucker (first GR in the home) and it takes Tucker's attention off Tess (our Cav who has been with us for years). So far it's a win-win. Bella is very shy and scared of women, but I'm slowly winning her over. She's taken to my daughter quickly. Bella's only been here three days, but we are "packing" into a new family unit quite nicely.

Regarding the SA, I think your approach sounds great. I agree with continuing the crate training. He will get used to it eventually. It would help if you would give him his meals, if not inside the crate, just next to it. And keep the other dogs away so he can go into it for hidden treats. Tucker has been humping Bella a bit, too, but she's dealing with it just fine. She's a lot bigger that your pup though! I suspect Zeb is just trying to establish the order of the pack. The huge advantage of SA, FYI, is that teaching recall is a cinch. Tucker has a bit of SA, and when we go to the dog park I never have to go find him to go home. If I get anywhere near the exit, he gets right to me fast as can be. And when we go to a large off-leash dog park, he always stays within eyesight of me. I would recommend taking him to puppy kindergarten as soon as you can enroll him.

Congrats on your new addition. You're wonderful to give this little guy a home.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he is fitting in nicely. I am glad to hear he is progressing!