• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harley limping again - Any advise

Sabby

I don’t really know where to start.

As a lot of you know Harley was diagnosed just over a year ago with SM and it all started because he was limping. First we thought it was an agility injury but an MRI confirmed SM. My Ebony was also diagnosed with symptomatic CM a while later.

The limping last year lasted about 1 month and then suddenly just disappeared until about 2 weeks ago. We have stopped doing agility since last year so it’s not that. As the weather has been bad and I know Ebony has been affected I thought it has something to do with that as he has also started scratching more. The limping started one morning when he jumped of the bed, it wouldn’t have bothered a normal dog but could I be right that it could have triggered the SM related limping? The limping is on and off but now when he makes a certain move he doesn’t yelp but makes a wincing noise obviously pain related. I have emailed Clare Rusbridge and she said that if it is weather related I can give him an extra Lyrica and an anti-inflammatory. He was on Carprofen last year but didn’t seem to do a lot. I did start him off again on Carprofen but with my other two I found Previcox to be more affected. So I rang the vet and he said to change the anti-inflammatory I need to wait 24hours for the last tablet to wear off and then another 48 hours till I give him the new medication. Sorry i am just going on but I am at my wits end. We been through it all last year and he was ok ish untill now. I should be used to it by now but everytime something happens it still knocks you again. I hate to see him so un happy. Does anybody with an SM dog got problems with limping? How long does it last?

Hello Sabby,

SM symptoms can come and go but the limping could possibly be due to the jump from the bed. He may have strained a muscle?

I know that you find it hard to live with the uncertainties of SM but unfortunately that is what we are all stuck with.............best guessing what is happening.

I hope Harvey feels better soon.

I'm sorry Harley is limping again. I really have no advice, just wanted to give you some moral support.

I should be used to it by now but everytime something happens it still knocks you again. I hate to see him so un happy.

I know how you feel. Sydney had MVD, thyroid problems, spondolosis, and a few other things. Like you, I did everything in my power to help him, but, at the end of the day, I still felt let down. It is the hardest thing to watch when they're not feeling well and you're left with guessing.

I'm thinking of you and hope the extra meds will help keep Harley comfortable. (((hugs)))

Hi Sabby

I'm sorry you're having worry about Harley again - our SM dogs do keep us on our toes! Which leg is he limping on? One of the first symptoms of Oliver's SM was stumbling on his right front leg, which had lost most of its nerve response. He still doesn't put all his weight on it (evidenced by how little he wears the nails down, I never used to have to cut them regularly), though he doesn't stumble so much now, and he always finds it more comfortable to lie down than to sit - sitting does put a lot of pressure on their front legs. If Harley's limping on a front leg, it may have buckled under him when he jumped and pulled a muscle.

Hope you can sort it out soon.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Sabby

I'm sorry you're having worry about Harley again - our SM dogs do keep us on our toes! Which leg is he limping on? One of the first symptoms of Oliver's SM was stumbling on his right front leg, which had lost most of its nerve response. He still doesn't put all his weight on it (evidenced by how little he wears the nails down, I never used to have to cut them regularly), though he doesn't stumble so much now, and he always finds it more comfortable to lie down than to sit - sitting does put a lot of pressure on their front legs. If Harley's limping on a front leg, it may have buckled under him when he jumped and pulled a muscle.

Hope you can sort it out soon.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate

Last year was his right front leg and now it's his left front leg. He was not to bad until he came back on monday from having his blood taken at the vet. When he does certain moves he winzes and it's more under his arm pit (if you know what I mean) he is only confortable when he lies on his side fully stretched out. I just wonder if when they took blood he was struggling and they held him down or he jumped of the table. I am debating of ringing and at least mention it. Like I said I am changing anti-inflammatorys so I have to wait until tomorrow morning to give him the new tablets.

Back