• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hair length

TomA

We adopted Charlie last January through Cavalier Rescue. When we got him he appeared rather straggly with short, uneven hair on his back and long hair on his lower sides and stomach. We had him groomed to have it evened out, and then clipped again before our long, hot summer here in southern Virginia. Since then we've allowed his hair to grow. Now, once again, the hair on his back is only around an inch long, whereas, it has grown to regular length on his lower sides, stomach, hips and chest. Never having had a Cavalier before and never having seen this before on another Cavalier, we're wondering what's going on? Will the hair on his back grow more slowly or is there something going on that will keep it short. He does have SM, but I've not heard of this having any effect like this.

We appreciate any thoughts you can offer. If his hair isn't going to even out, then we'll just keep him trimmed shorter so that it's all the same length.

Thanks,
TomA

Tom you live in my neck of the woods!!!!!! How awesome, we live in Yorktown (part of Hampton Roads). I wish I had a good new picture of Fletcher. He's leg and chest area is really growing out now. He is getting those great "bedroom slipper" feet and nice "wings" on his legs and his ears are getting long but yet the hair on his back is short. Oh and his tail is fanning nicely too. As you can tell I like him this way. My hope is to leave his hair alone and not have him clipped however that's ONLY if I can maintain it.

Can you post a picture of Charlie? Is he ok with being brushed daily? Are you ok with doing that? There are no rules about how or if you have your cavalier clipped or cut no for us pet owners.As a matter of fact I think most groomers don't even know what to do with them. Keep Charlie however you like him best. I don't think this has anything to do with SM.

You might want to browse the general gallery here to see what other cavaliers look like.

Molly was the same way, long all over except for the back was only about 2 inches

Is Charlie neutered? This can often do odd things to coats (something the vet doesn't tell you!) My Aled is neutered and has long cottony straggles of hair along his flanks and sides, also under his chin, where it tangles very easily. I just use thinning scissore to trim it back level with the rest of the coat, and as I don't show him, I cut tangles out with scissors rather than spend time trying to tease them out (which is very difficult to do without hurting him).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Kate H,
Charlie has been neutered, this, evidently, part of Cavalier Rescue's program for adoptions. But his hair looked like this when we first got him, which was just a day or two after his procedure. It's interesting to hear that others have Cavaliers with similar short hair on their backs. I've never seen another that didn't have evenly long hair.

MomObvious,
We only live minutes away on the north side of Newport News. We'll have to figure out a way to get our dogs together after this storm passes. My wife loves walking Charlie along the river front. I'll have to see if I can figure out the picture situation. We've taken him kayaking on Lake Superior and the Chesapeake and have some cute pictures.

Short0ish hair on the back is the normal length for cavalier. I have four cavaliers and none has long hair at the centre of its back -- all have quite short hair. I think maybe other dogs might have seemed to have long back hair when actually it is the side hair that grows long and may have appeared as long back hair? Now I will have to check out all the backs of cavaliers! :lol:

On neutering -- all responsible rescues neuter dogs before rehoming. :)

I agree short on the back but proper Cavalier elswhere but u takes me aa good hour evry night with combing and brushing and off to the proper groomers on Sat but thats £115.

best wihes

bri

Interesting responses all. I've just never been around a cavalier that doesn't have equal length hair all over his/her body. Charlie's hair is an inch max on his back and mid sides, but full length from there down.

Toby here was neutered but despite having a long coat it was actually quite short on the top as you can see in the second pic.
7890143880_7ce0bf82d4_o.jpg
[/URL] Toby.....Never forgotton. by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

7890146468_1a48730a79_o.jpg
[/URL] Toby.....Never forgotton. by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Charlie looks a lot like your dog markings wise, but his hair doesn't start to get long until halfway to his tummy. His chest, legs, butt and tummy have long hair, but his top and sides are short. It's as if we gave him a weird haircut.

Wow, I have never seen a cavalier with such long hair! :) I think handsome Toby would win as the hairiest cavalier ever posted on CavalierTalk. :D

Gracie has a very similar coat to Toby! Although when I adopted her a few months ago I brought her straight to the groomers, haha! She also has much shorter hair along her back. Her coat is so fluffy it makes her look fat, the poor girl! Everyone thinks shes overweight but when you pick her up you can feel her ribs, Im a bit defensive. :)

Toby had an amazing coat, what a very handsome boy he was. My youngest has a long coat, similar to the look of Toby`s but does`nt come down quite as to the ground as Toby`s, and it`s lovely as soft, I love his coat but it has to be trimmed , I take him to the Groomers as I am not brave enough to do it myself. My older cavalier has a completely different coat, it is short and a completely different texture, so easy to brush and never been near a Groomers in his nearly 13 years so there are some advantages to a dog with a shorter coat.

We've trimmed Charlie on the lower sides and hips and back but have left the back and sides alone to see if they start growing. Now he looks a little more even. If I can figure out how to post pictures from my phone I'll do so. I've not figured that out yet.

TomA

Back