The discussion on thetopic of blue eyes is fine and has been interesting! There are also rare 'chocolate' cavaliers too, which have a brown shaded coat rather than black or blenheim colouring. As the article I quoted says, rare colours of coat etc can pop up quite normally. The thing to beware of is people trying to sell such animals at a higher price or claiming they are somehow more valuable than other animals. For example a couple of poor quality cavalier breeders try to put a premium price on black cavaliers -- obtained either through crossbreeding in the past (most likely) or perhaps a dog that appeared with that colouring that they have then interbred far too closely with offspring.

Actually cavalier coat colours were only artificially fixed by the UK Kennel Club back around the middle of the last century when cavaliers were accepted as a formal breed. There were all black, and black and white cavaliers for example. There's a whole argument about whether fixing appearance in this way contributes to the decline of breeds and reduces genetic diversity (very low in almost all pedigree dogs, which mostly would never survive as a distinct breed in the wild as diversity is below the level at which a species would survive). And I am sympathetic to that argument and the silliness and even cruelty of some breed standards. For example in some regions a colour is accepted in th standard and in others it is not (eg white schnauzers, fine in Europe, not accepted in US). The problem though is that in the real world, anyone breeding alternative coat colours or mixes deliberately is trying to sell puppies on false pretenses of 'value' and is almost never going to have a clue about genetics or health and won;t have started with tested, healthy individuals and won't be doing the proper testing or following breeding protocols -- I've yet to see breeders who do any of these things including ones who sell so-called healthier designer crossbreeds 9they have no background on their breeding stock; they breed cavaliers below 2.5 years, they rarely do testing especially MRIs).

The original link even though not it wasn't directly to that cretin's own website clearly showed the breeder's website address so for that reason I removed the link. I would also do this if people post images of their expected puppy if it goes to, say, Photobucket but the image has the breeder's kennel name printed on it.

The blue eyes in the pic, are I feel, definitely photoshopped to match the colour in the kennel name on the image. I've seen lots and lots of puppy and kitten blue eyes and puppy eyes just are not that blue and not by that age (that's not a really young puppy). There are actually other blue eyed cavaliers out on the web (sadly that some people want to breed from even though blue eyes are usually a one-off) and you can see that even as puppies they have typical blue dog eyes, nothing that intense. Very easy to highlight the blue using online picture editors.

Personally I found it really depressing to see that breeder's site. I had not realised they were still breeding on what seems an industrial scale, offering cavaliers of all four colours, all the time. I fervently hope there is a special circle of hell reserved for people like this.