• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sale of "commercially bred" dogs banned in Los Angeles??

dandelos

I'm at work now and just heard/read about this, so I don't have time to read all the full details and do more research, but this is HUGE news if it's in fact true that breeders are banned from selling their dogs now. Anyone also from Los Angeles know more about this development?

http://www.khou.com/community/blogs/animal-attraction/Animal-Attraction--177237091.html

http://www.contracostatimes.com/cal...angeles-bans-sale-commercially-bred-dogs-cats

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/... Blog&utm_source=PETA E-Mail&utm_medium=Alert

http://www2.peta.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=108942.0&printer_friendly=1

I just read thur the articles you posted here. The is a new city ordnance that says retail pet stores cannot sell dogs, cats or rabbits UNLESS they came from a shelter or rescue. They are no longer going to be able to be "pet brokers". This ban is a 3 year trial to see if this policy can get the number of shelter animals put down for lack of a home. LA wants to be the first no kill city for strays. They are also hoping this "retail ban" helps put puppy mills out of business (hit them were it hurts their pocketbooks) Pretty neat....I hope it works. The retailers say people wishing to purchase a animal will be forced to "go else where" for such an animal (yeah like a qualified breeders who loves and cares for their animals in their homes and has expert understand of how to breed healthy animals)

I think this is a groundbreaking idea in my opinion. Not just ban "puppy mills" but give them no where to sell their "stock". I again hope LA is successful so other cities might catch on. I still believe a large amount of these "puppy mill" folks do a majority of their business online however every step in shutting them down is a good one.

I think the ban is great! and should really help home rescue animals -- but I don't think it will much help improve breeding practice or where people get their pedigree puppies or kittens. I am sure the vast majority of people find breeders in classified ads or online and most of those are pretty awful (the mills can have websites that make them look like more reputable breeders, then there are the BYBs and the large scale 'home' breeders). Club breeders, even if all were fantastic :rolleyes: could not possibly supply the demand for pedigree animals. It' all a complicated issue... but this is certainly a great start in doing something. :)

I thought Charlotte must be another city that bans dogs being sold in pet shops because I've not seen any. After doing a search, I was very sad to see that is not the case and that cavaliers were among the breeds listed they sell.

How can they say they "do not support puppy mills" and their "stock" comes from the most reputable breeders. NO reputable breeder would sell their puppies to pet shops.

I wish Charlotte would do the same as LA. We do have a great no kill shelter here that I support, but seeing dogs even referred to as stock is sickening.

I was surprised to read about the ban in LA because it has been years since I saw a puppy or kitten being sold in a pet store. I hope the ban works. I think the Internet is the new "pet store," but the dogs and cats from shelters that I see being showcased in pet stores are at least getting a chance.

It's a great idea....I hope it works. Anne, about your comment, there are many puppy mills that are AKC certified and many people think that means reputable. All they have to do is pass a yearly inspection.

I think the Internet is the new "pet store," but the dogs and cats from shelters that I see being showcased in pet stores are at least getting a chance.

Yes and yes! :)

On registrations for puppy mills -- I feel so strongly that there is far more the national kennel clubs could do to change this and make registrations more of a quality mark that a 'bare minimum of effort to send in a form' issue that lets millers, BYBs and crap breeders sell mass-produced dogs as higher quality, at higher prices, to the unsuspecting. :(

I think its great! Pet stores shouldn't sell small animals, just stick with the food and pet supplies. They were charging an arm and a leg and you never knew anything about their background and their health guarantees are not the best.

Back