Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food mixing versus rotating AND the Grain Free debate....

Post Thanks / Like

I feed a grain free, Nature's Variety Instinct. I don't mix flavors, only because it would be entirely too much food, even if I used only the smallest bags, to be eaten in a reasonable amount of time. I only have one dog eating that food, and I buy the 13 lb bags. It lasts him a few months, which is probably too long to have the bag open, and I need to get him a better storage container for his food. He just does well on the grain free stuff, so that's what I use for him.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up going with Orijen. I bought a 7kg bag each of the 6 fish and Chicken adult. I decided to keep them separate though, at least for now until I make sure the girls dont have any issues with either. I will just be rotating days with the different flavours.

I also discussed the possible issue of food going mouldy with both my vet as well as the owner of my local pet supplies store, and both said there is no issue with having a bag of food last months as long as it is properly stored (i.e. seal the bag or use a plastic tupperware, dont store in your musty wet basement, etc.) - at least in our cool, dry climate there is little to no risk of this happening. Actually both even said up to a year is fine, although mine last about 3 months. But this is obviously dependent on the climate where you live, I will probably buy smaller bags in the summer months when it can be a bit humid.

Thanks for all your input!
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Lukesmom...I feed our 10 1/2 year Tri Nature's Variety Instinct as well...he loves it, I mix in a few vegetables or additional meat also for a variety. You are the first person that I have seen that feed their Cavalier this, so that makes me feel better.