• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teeth cleaning supplements

cpell009

So I dont know if Im the only one, but I have a really hard time brushing my girls' teeth. Lady especially thinks its more of a game, and the chicken flavour toothpaste is a treat.

On the recommendation of my vet, I purchased a (pricey!) product called "Healthy Mouth". It is a green liquid that is added to the drinking water and scientific studies have shown that it greatly reduces the plaque and tartar accumulation in both dogs and cats. Reading the ingredients it is mainly composed of fruit extracts like pomegranate and blueberry, nothing too chemical-sounding. I have been using it for a few months but wouldnt really be able to tell any results myself.

A friend of mine who works at a high-end pet store suggested a product that is shaken on the food that I guess helps to clean the teeth while they eat. I am not sure the name of it but she said it was about 20$ a shaker and lasts around 4-6 months.

Has anybody else used any of these products with good or bad results? Are there cons to using these that I am not seeing? Would it be a bad idea to combine the two products (i.e. both food and water supplements)?

It does worry me a bit because it kind of reminds me of the angel eyes stuff that is an antibiotic. I dont want to feed them potentially harmful chemicals only for the sake of brushing their teeth a bit less.

Thanks!

Hi
The only way to properly clean their teeth is by brushing ,see below , I prefer to use a normal toothbrush and a finger microfibre brush to get into any little crevices.
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/d/dentalcare/howtocleanyourdogsteeth09.aspx

We use mainly Petzlife gel followed by Petzlife spray also Logic gel and their small chews plus CET toothpaste and a few other items .If they think
its a game keep it that way make it a fun thing and your Cavalier will soon enjoy the experience but also try to clean daily .

Best Wishes
brian

ps cet also do a fish flavoured paste ,if brushing is not tolerated then try the water additive as thats better than not doing anything at all

http://www.petzlife.com/contact/index.php

http://www.amazon.com/C-E-T-Toothpaste-70-g-Poultry/dp/B0009RUZ04

http://www.ceva.co.uk/en/Products/Products-list/Logic-Oral-Hygiene-Gel

I've used a product called Denta Treat, it's a powder that you sprinkle on their food, it is an enzyme in the product that helps keep their teeth in check. I also think that brushing is a good idea, those little finger brushes are great.

Last edited:
I still brush their teeth and am not looking to replace that, I just know that Im not always doing the best job since Lady is so squirmy. Just wondering if there are any negative side affects to using these products?

Hi Courtney

My four girls are aged 6 ,51/2,5 and 3 and I have been using the products mentioned since Poppy the eldest was 1 1/2 and out of the four only
Daisy has lost one tooth and none of the products have given me any cause for concern .There is also a proven link between bad teeth and
heart disease.

So I dont know if Im the only one, but I have a really hard time brushing my girls' teeth. Lady especially thinks its more of a game, and the chicken flavour toothpaste is a treat.

On the recommendation of my vet, I purchased a (pricey!) product called "Healthy Mouth". It is a green liquid that is added to the drinking water and scientific studies have shown that it greatly reduces the plaque and tartar accumulation in both dogs and cats. Reading the ingredients it is mainly composed of fruit extracts like pomegranate and blueberry, nothing too chemical-sounding. I have been using it for a few months but wouldnt really be able to tell any results myself.

A friend of mine who works at a high-end pet store suggested a product that is shaken on the food that I guess helps to clean the teeth while they eat. I am not sure the name of it but she said it was about 20$ a shaker and lasts around 4-6 months.

Has anybody else used any of these products with good or bad results? Are there cons to using these that I am not seeing? Would it be a bad idea to combine the two products (i.e. both food and water supplements)?

It does worry me a bit because it kind of reminds me of the angel eyes stuff that is an antibiotic. I dont want to feed them potentially harmful chemicals only for the sake of brushing their teeth a bit less.

Thanks!

I wonder if this the product you're thinking of: http://www.wysong.net/products/dentatreat-dog-cat-supplement.php, mentioned by someone else too. I haven't used it, but it says its made from human grade food and appears to be mostly cheese! I can't imagine there would be any problem with adding such a thing to your dogs food. might want to look at the calorie count to be sure you're not inadvertently adding a pound to your dog. I might try this stuff myself.

In the USA, we have the Veterinary Oral Health Council, vohc.org. If something has the vohc seal, it means it is proven to help reduce plaque and tartar in animals.

I just checked the water supplement I use, Healthy Mouth LLC, and it does in fact have the VOHC seal. I purchased a 16oz jug for around $80 in late July and have been using it daily in their water since. The jug is still over 80% full so it does last quite a while. Based on the ingredients and the studies I've read, it does seem like a legitimate product so hopefully it is helping! I will keep persevering with the tooth brushing though :wggle:

I've been using Healthy Mouth for over a year now and so far my vet says that all their teeth look really good. I took Riley to a specialty vet dentist who recommended it (along with brushing of course) after she pulled a few of Riley's teeth. I don't know if that was a side effect from her daily steroid use or what. I got the same size jug you got and even filling two bowls of water daily for four dogs, it still lasts forever.

The veterinary dentist also recommended some soft rawhide chews for dogs which also reduce prevent tartar,plaque and gingivitis and have the VOHC seal. They're sold by Tartar Shield and my dogs love them.

I started brushing Fletcher's teeth the day after I brought him home at 12 weeks. I use Petzlife, a regular tooth brush and the finger toothbrushes. Fletcher too thinks it a treat and a game. I'll admit some nights his teeth are better brushed than others, but I still think its the best way to go. Mr. Monster also likes to "help" I have learned to keep a little stock of his own tooth brushes in the house because he is always putting Fletcher's toothpaste in HIS tooth brush!!!! So while I'm brushing Fletcher teeth his favorite playmate is waving around an Elmo tooth brush with the "treat" on it too. We laugh a lot but it gets done.

Back