• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Springer Spaniels and SM

anniemac

I am pretty sure I know the answer but thought I would put it out there. I came across this that was posted on the ASAP (American Syringomyelia & Chiari Alliance Project) and thought I would ask.

http://www.asap.org/index.php/get-involved/conference/

"It was certainly an eye opener to know that Springer Spaniels can have SM and Chiari. But through advances in radiological tests, surgery, medications, genetics, and nutrition great strides will continue to be made for people who live daily with SM and related illnesses"

I think this statement came from someone who just attended the conference and got Springer Spaniel and Cavaliers confused because I am sure if they talked about this topic it would be Cavaliers. I have never seen Springer Spaniels listed as a breed affected with CM/SM.

Has there been any connection with this breed? For some reason I thought I have seen talk about outcrossing to Springers maybe in the future so I would imagine they would not consider this breed if it was also considered a breed afflicted with this condition.

Gosh, I hope you are right Anne, and it was just an error on the persons part about yet another breed being affected.

There are two breeds of Springer Spaniel, English and Welsh. The one considered as a possible outcross for Cavaliers is the Welsh Springer, as in appearance they look rather like a large Blenheim Cavalier. For someone not very familiar with either breed, or unfamiliar with Cavaliers, it could be quite easy to confuse a photo of a large Cavalier with a photo of a Welsh Springer. As far as I know, neither Springer breed has produced CM or SM.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back