• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Moving House - any tips and tricks to help get settled in?

Waggles

I am hopefully moving house in a couple of weeks. We have had Oscar our CKCS since he was 7.5 weeks old and he has lived in one house for 6 months and then in our current house. In a couple of weeks we are hopefully moving to a Bungalow with a bigger garden which I know he will love. Now that we have two dogs our house has felt a little crowded.

The new house presents a number of changes including - it has no stairs, it has a much bigger garden, it is not in the town centre, it is not in a noisy area or one with high traffic (like our current house). All these things I think will add up to cause concern for Oscar who is a sensitive soul and even gets upset when you move the furniture around - he will run off and hide for a couple of hours.

I have bought an Adaptil diffuser in preperation and we have also walked both dogs around the area a couple of times so that they can get used to the smells and it is not completely new.

But...if anyone has any tricks they have used to help their dogs get settled in quickly I would appreciate the advice.

We are in exactly the same situation as you, we should be moving in a couple of weeks and have two Cavaliers that I am concerned about.
I intend to keep them pretty much confined to the kitchen initially, with me in their sight as much as possible. Our Grace is like your Oscar, she becomes distressed by the simplest of things. The best thing we can do for Grace is ensure that she has a really good walk every day, when she's tired out, she can't be bothered to kick off or worry as much :)

I'm pleased you have posted this question about adjusting to a new home and how we can help them as much as possible and look forward to reading the replies :)

I'm aware that the house we are going to had a dog there, an Alsatian, and I was wondering if the smell of this dog on carpets etc might bother them (I wouldn't put it past Phoebe to attempt to mark over the smell if it bothers her a lot!)

Very best of luck with your move, I hope it goes well for you :)

Same here! We're in the process of a house sale and also have placed a contract on another, moving from the country to the suburbs. The yard is much, much smaller but securely fenced, which I'm looking forward to. There will be sidewalks for our walks vs gravel or pasture. It may not smell as "good" to him, but should be easier for us. The move won't happen until early January and it'll be in the dead of winter. I've been wondering about his reaction.

Thanks Karlin for the links - they are really helpful.

I think I will also keep my two confined to the kitchen for a few days/weeks until I can be sure they have settled in ok. Am looking forward to having a little more room and not tripping over dog beds and toys.

Thank you for the info links Karlin.
Best of luck to everyone on here with their house move :)

Back