• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vomiting incident - Don't want to overreact

Lady Hoop

Early this morning at about 5AM Lady threw up a large amount of yellow water-like vomit on our bed...and practically on us. Poor thing.

I picked her up so we could clean up and when I set her on the ground she vomited again a few times, but all that came up was 'foam' and it was quite gel-like. When I put her back on the bed to lay down her stomach was making gurgling noises.

After about 20 min I let her have about half the size of food she normally does in case it would upset her stomach even more. She ate just fine and used the restroom with normal poopoo. However, when I brought her back inside she didn't do her usual hyperactive morning routine. She actually went straight into her crate to sleep. She definitely wasn't acting like her usual self, but she also had almost a full day of being awake yesterday...she usually has lots and lots of naps. She could just be tired.

She has done this before when she had a bad respiratory infection, but she doesn't sound like she has an RI right now, and she vomited when she was at her worst point with the RI. She was totally normal yesterday. She has been to the vet a lot recently for things that have concerned me and on my last visit my vet encouraged me to relax and not over-analyze everything so much :):)oicon_blshing) so now I have a complex and feel like the paranoid woman who cried wolf. All the things I worried over ended up just being me "overreacting."

In your experiences, is this random vomiting episode something to worry about? The only thing I can think of that may have caused an upset stomach is:

-I fed her two baby carrots yesterday, one in morning and one at about 9PM. I started giving her baby carrots as treats on Friday.
-She ate a part of a beetle
-I cleaned yesterday. Dusted and vacuumed. This hasn't bothered her before, but my husband has had major sinus and allergy issues so maybe the weather and my cleaning did her in too. It was very cold and rainy yesterday and this morning as well.

Other than those things, I am stumped, especially since her #2 was normal consistency and she ate well.

Might have been the beetle.

Dogs/cats vomit for a lot of reasons, and usually it isn't a big deal. I have a post about this pinned at top of the health (this!) section (eg the thread on when does my cavalier need to see a vet). That should be useful to you generally! :) In general if the dog does not look well, then ri ng the vet and ask if the dog needs to come in. Mine always give good advice on this. :)

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/...Vet-health-sites-Deciding-when-you-need-a-vet

I agree with Karlin. Give the vet a call if it makes you feel better. I use to do that a lot! Basically, just keep an eye on her and make sure she's drinking well. Maybe just some light food like steamed chicken and rice if her tummy is still upset.

Hope she feels better

The first time Lady vomitted I overreacted, brought her to the emerg vet and ended up with a $500 bill! I try to calm down a bit since then lol... Lady will eat anything she can get her mouth on, so she actually vomits about once or twice a month probably. Usually she vomits once and moves on like nothing ever happened, but is sometimes she's a little low energy as well. On the advice of my vet, unless its accompanied by diarreah and sluggishness for over 12 hours, I will just keep an eye on her for any signs of worsening. I also keep a couple cans of gastro food on hand or you can give rice and chicken to make it easier on the upset stomach.

Thanks guys! Karlin, gee I feel silly, I have never even noticed that link pinned to the top and I could have sworn I had covered every nook and cranny on CT by now. Thanks so much, that will definitely help my wallet!!!

Husband went to check on her around 10AM...she was still down in the dumps and not active.

I came home to check on her around 12:15PM and she was wiggling her butt, jumping on me and then laid in the grass to start her midday sunning routine. I think she's feeling better. She was still rather sluggish, but not as anti-social and pitiful as this morning. I'll keep an eye on her the rest of the day and tomorrow morning.

I wish I had a vet I could call for advice. They will not tell you a thing over the phone or offer any advice, they only tell you to come in to see the Doc. Otherwise, I wouldn't be the woman who cried wolf right now. It's frustrating. This is her 2nd vet and both places practice the same "we would have to see her" routine.

On a different note, Lady has almost entirely stopped drooling since her spay. I don't know how in the world that would be connected, but ever since her surgery we have yet to experience the awful scary drooling! She went from dripping drool from 4 months to 6 1/2 months all day long to no drool at all. Baffles me.

Glad Lady is feeling better - often just resting their tummy by not feeding them for a bit will clear up vomiting. And drooling as a puppy is pretty common as well, because they're getting their adult teeth. Think of human babies at the equivalent age (and how often are they sick, too)! It's tough being a first-time mum!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

It sure is tough! I can't image how nutty I will be when I have a human child. My oh my.

Her drooling went past puppy drooling. After all of her adult teeth came in she continued to drool continuously. It would cover her entire neck all the way down her chest and the side of her face and would drip onto the floor. She was that way for 2 1/2 months. We had to keep paper towels on hand to soak up the drool, especially if company came. The only time it stopped was when she slept. It even concerned my vet so he gave her a pain injection shot one day while she was at daycare to see if it would subside and possibly indicate that it was drool caused by pain. Nothing changed. We waited it out, she got spayed, and now she isn't drooling! So strange. I am relieved that is [fingers crossed] over.

Early this morning at about 5AM Lady threw up a large amount of yellow water-like vomit on our bed...and practically on us. Poor thing.

Not sure if it helps and it may not bbe teh same thing, but since this happened in the morning and was yellow liquid (bile?), I thought I'd share.

Lucky went through a period a few years ago where 3 mornings in a row he threw up Yellow liquid. I took him to the vet and the vet suggested feeding him a small meal before bed. It had something to do with the stomach being empty causing the vomiting. I don't recall the specifics now, but I took her advice and gave him a few treats/small meal before bed and the vomiting stopped. If you are just getting the liquid in the mornings and not food coming up, you might want to try the small meal just before bedtime.

I think you are right on, Lani! We have been feeding her at about 6:30AM and then anywhere between 4-5PM. My husband could have fed her a little earlier than usual so she had an empty stomach longer than usual. It also would explain her stomach gurgling. The only other time I've heard that was a few weeks ago when my parents watched her and forgot to feed her that morning (it's been 20 years since they've had a puppy!) I picked her up around 11AM and her stomach was gurgling like crazy.

Lady was fine this evening, back to normal and chasing the kitties. She was probably just perturbed by her vomiting episode resulting in her dumpy spirits this morning. So glad I've got you guys for advice! Always eases my mind!

Last edited:
Back