Thread: Pill Pocket Ideas????

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pill Pocket Ideas????

Hi

Or rather what do you wrap your tablet in so your Cavalier will take it easily before you begin a wrestling match .My reason for asking for suggestions is once again I have been
    reading about MVD and I suddenly thought "cheese and salt ".Daisy now has 6 gabapentin ,3 cimetidene and one omeprazole daily which means we use 7 pieces of cheese to wrap
    them in during the day ( or 3/4 of a sqr of one of those flat cheese things ) and as i am trying to cut out any excess sodium I wondered what others use ,I did buy a pack of pill
    pockets ages ago but they seemed huge so I don't fancy giving her a load of them daily so what do you think ?

Thanks

Bri
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use a small bit of margarine or butter spread but have used meat paste, peanut butter, soft cheese. Agree, don't think I'd wrap in cheese 7 times a day -- lots of fat and calories in cheese. Most often I just put Leo's pills in his regular food in the morning.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Karlin

Meat paste seems good to try .I have tried putting tablets in their food before Poppy is fine as every meal is her last ever meal so its all gone in a blink same with Lily ,Rosie is more methodical and tends to find any
    non food items and Daisy just finishes her breakfast just as its teatime she is dead slow and stop but I think she plays the game I have something and you our Pops have nothing ,Another of the inter Cavalier games
    they play with each other and the last thing she eats is her strawberry which she keeps back as last till I open the crate then she grabs it tightly in her teeth and then on purpose runs past Pops growling and grumbling
    away and saying won again as she goes past ,the horror .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian, I use to use these for Sydney. He got 11 different pills in the morning and again at night. The pill pockets are really soft. You can smash them flat then wrap the pill in them. I was able to use 1 large pill pocket for his pills, so he only got 2 pill pockets a day.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I use peanut butter, the dogs don't seem to notice the pill.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the cat pill pockets. They're much smaller than the ones for dogs and guess what - my dogs can't tell that they're for cats!!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    ice cream for louie sometimes i crush the tablet
    or a spoonfull of ice crean with the tablet inside
    goes down no bother