• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pill Pocket Ideas????

Brian M

Hi

Or rather what do you wrap your tablet in so your Cavalier will take it easily before you begin a wrestling match .My reason for asking for suggestions is once again I have been
reading about MVD and I suddenly thought "cheese and salt ".Daisy now has 6 gabapentin ,3 cimetidene and one omeprazole daily which means we use 7 pieces of cheese to wrap
them in during the day ( or 3/4 of a sqr of one of those flat cheese things ) and as i am trying to cut out any excess sodium I wondered what others use ,I did buy a pack of pill
pockets ages ago but they seemed huge so I don't fancy giving her a load of them daily so what do you think ?

Thanks

Bri

I use a small bit of margarine or butter spread but have used meat paste, peanut butter, soft cheese. Agree, don't think I'd wrap in cheese 7 times a day -- lots of fat and calories in cheese. Most often I just put Leo's pills in his regular food in the morning.

Hi Karlin

Meat paste seems good to try .I have tried putting tablets in their food before Poppy is fine as every meal is her last ever meal so its all gone in a blink same with Lily ,Rosie is more methodical and tends to find any
non food items and Daisy just finishes her breakfast just as its teatime she is dead slow and stop but I think she plays the game I have something and you our Pops have nothing ,Another of the inter Cavalier games
they play with each other and the last thing she eats is her strawberry which she keeps back as last till I open the crate then she grabs it tightly in her teeth and then on purpose runs past Pops growling and grumbling
away and saying won again as she goes past ,the horror .

Hi Brian, I use to use these for Sydney. He got 11 different pills in the morning and again at night. The pill pockets are really soft. You can smash them flat then wrap the pill in them. I was able to use 1 large pill pocket for his pills, so he only got 2 pill pockets a day.

I use the cat pill pockets. They're much smaller than the ones for dogs and guess what - my dogs can't tell that they're for cats!!

They have pill pockets for capsules and also for tablets. the ones for tablets are much smaller and then i break them in half when giving one pill alone. u might also try mashed banana or all natural unsalted peanut butter??

I have a 16 year old cat on thyroid medication. I was getting so frustrated because he lovessss pill pockets but they are pricy
Someone on another board suggested a certain kinda cheese that I never buy. So I tried a tiny piece of cheese singles. One square will last me a week. Just enough to cover the pill.he loved it. It's become his routine now. When I forget he reminds me.

Also I'm sure most are aware. But you can also buy pet medication at Costco for so much cheaper!!:)

Brian, I put Jasper`s tablets in very thin small pieces of ham, but this may not be that good for Daisy with her having so many tablets, Jasper only takes 2 tablets per day, never had a problem with him taking them like this, but when I give him his worming tablet I give it in the food he does seem to find it and leaves it at the bottom of his bowl so I always have to check the bowl so Ollie does`nt get it and have a double dose. They are all very different, Ollie would eat anything more or less. It`s funny the games they play, my two are so different and I love how different they both are, must be great fun in your house with all the different personalities, they must keep you on your toes at all times. Keep it up Daisy, you know your Dad loves it, and you will all get away with anything.

hi
ice cream for louie sometimes i crush the tablet
or a spoonfull of ice crean with the tablet inside
goes down no bother

I get a box of the cheapest pate from Aldi's (Sainsburys and Tescos do the same kind of thing - they all cost around 60p) cut a small chunk and pop the pills in. The box lasts about a week in the frig, and Oliver queues up for his treat. Aled always has a bit too, so when he needs SM pills, he's going to be a doddle to dose!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I give Tess a pill every night in a small spoonful of peanut butter. Have also used: hot dog, chicken, beef, wet dog food and the pill pockets (large and small). My vet also sold me a small jar of what the pill pockets are made of so that you can scoop out a small ball of it and wrap it around anything. I also take a glucosamine supplement and sprinkle it on one dog's food (she won't eat the tablet), pour the salmon oil over it and mix it thoroughly with the kibble.

Good luck!

One of Bentley's monthly tablets, Comfortis, is so huge (about the size of a nickel) that I have to cut in into 4 pieces. It also has an odor that's not so pleasant and there's no way he'll eat it unless it's wrapped in Velveeta. Fortunately it's just once a month.

So I tried a tiny piece of cheese singles. One square will last me a week. Just enough to cover the pill.he loved it.

This is what I do too, I use a low fat brand, and just use a tiny amount. Misty would take her's with meat paste, or peanut butter, but now Murphy gets meds, and he is fussy about what he eats. He wont look at peanut butter or meat paste, he's a little snob, just turns his nose up!

Back