Thread: New Cavalier MOM

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Cavalier MOM

Hi- I am Mary, married 30 years, 6 kids and live in Maine. We brought Daisy home with us last February. She just turned 1. She is a tricolor with very long, silky hair.
    She charms everyone who sees her and the cat even tolerates her!
    I find that she 'talks' to me a lot. if she wants attention, if she needs to go out, if she wants to play, or come and sit with me. If we're walking somewhere new, she'll whine like she's a bit worried about where we're going.
    She is very food motivated, but will eat her dinner 1 piece at a time, on the rug. Never scarfs down the whole meal at once.
    We originally got her for my daughter (12) but we all know how that ends up- Mom is mom to everyone, even the furbabies.
    She follows me everywhere in the house. The only thing she does that I don't like is that she thinks cat poop is the most delicious treat ever (yuck!). So far, the only way I can keep her from getting into it is to clean the box frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Your Daisy sounds like a typical cavalier.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...cfm?pcatid=595 You will find products that can assist you (as in the link provided). In some cases you merely feed meds to the animal whose poop is being eaten. The animal ingesting the poop will find it offensive and hopefully, not repeat the action. I'd ask the vet what s/he recommends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The link above is to something you sprinkle onto poops -- sometimes that helps with poop left on the ground but that begs the question of why not just pick it up rather than 'season it' . Sometimes making the poop unpalateable does work -- but most people who experience this issue with dogs eating their own or the poop of other dogs in the house find the best approach is really to get rid of the poop right away (scoop and bin it!).

Also as the issue is cat poop -- the issue tends to be that dogs get into the litter box when owners don't realise there's a poop there to be eaten -- so a bit more complicated than dogs that eat their own poop. I have cats so know only too well how attractive this 'kitty roca' is to dogs!

With cats -- the best approach is finding a litter box or litter box location that makes it difficult for the dogs to access it in the first place and also be meticulous about cleaning litter boxes. There are a lot of litter box models on the market that make it hard for dogs to access the poops -- and there are homemade approaches as well, and also litter box furniture that lets cats in to a litterbox but not dogs. Try googling 'dog proof litter box' for example and you'll get lots of ideas. It is a challenge but a solvable one with the right management approach!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bentley doesn't find the cat poop outside unless they have been "sick" on the front porch, runny variety. Yuk. I have to get him away from it ASAP and try to notice it before he does and lead him the other way. These are outdoor cats. Thankfully, the buyer of our house is happy to have us leave the cats with the house so that makes all of us happy. Now I won't have so many issues with him wanting to chase them and be bothered by their fleas, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. Your little girl does sound like a typical Cavalier! I hope you'll share some pictures soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

looking forward to seeing to photos of daisy