Thread: Twigs/Leaves in Coat

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twigs/Leaves in Coat

Hi Everyone-

I have a one year old CKC, Bosco, who loves to go the woods with me. There is a trail and Bosco pretty much stays on it, but he still manages to get all sorts of leaves/twigs/burrs tangled up in his fur, usually in the hind quarters. It bothers him to the point where he will sometimes just sit down, as I think he thinks he is getting attacked from behind (he can be a little jumpy at times). In these instances, I will call him over, pull off the leaves/twigs/whatever off him, and he happily romps away. It gets a little tiresome repeating this exercise through what should be a nice walk in the woods.

Here's my question...Do any of you trim the fur to stop stuff from getting stuck in it? He's got a beautiful coat and I would have to cut/shave, but how else can I prevent our walk from turning into 10-15 mini grooming sessions?

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Could you try trimming just around the bum/underneath area? That way you wouldnt really be destroying his coat but may prevent some of the debris from getting stuck in there.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do trim his butt area and also his feathers (a little). I still have this issue though. I was thinking of getting more trimmed off though because my guys like to eat the leaves and I'm concerned that some of them may make them sick.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I go through the woods with my four girls and I keep them all in full coat and I would never ever start trimming unless theres gum or
    something there ,the only way is slowly slowly groom them gently Every night it takes me an hour to an hour to an hour and a half and often
    longer if they have been someplace and picked up a lot and its also every night .I just view it that every minute with my girls whatever I do is quality time for me .

It may be tiresome picking twigs and the like out which I do with my Lily but its an accepted part of the walk and fun ,and as I say all
    my girls have full long coats .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I brush Fletcher out every evening really well. Now that we have a lot of fall leaves in the ground he seems to thing they are super fun. It does not bother him tho so I don't worry about it. Clipping your cavalier's coat is a total personal decision. I'm hoping as Fletcher gets older and his coat really grows in I can manage it easily if not I would rather look into some cutting I'm sure there is a happy medium. Funny tho this morning Mr. Monster finished his pancakes and for some reason only a 4 year old would know he put his plate in his chair and walked away. Well Fletcher was not going to let that opportunity pass him by he jumped right up and licked the syrup off the plate. When he did he got in all on his ears!!! The rest of the morning he was trying to lick/chew the syrup off his ears. LOL silly pup I brushed them out but he still needed a wet cloth to get it all.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

If you sew or know someone who does, maybe you could make him a "coat" for woods walking time? Like out of a net material (I think they make drying coats out of it?). I have Rose "snow clothes" that cover her long fur, so she doesn't get "snowballs" in it when we actually have snow. Works well, and it's not a heavy material, so she doesn't get hot. This link has a pic of the material type I'm thinking of: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?38987-Pics-of-Polly-and-her-new-drying-coat