Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As SM progresses, the supraoccipial bone resorbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default As SM progresses, the supraoccipial bone resorbs

In a November 2012 UK study by a team of veteran CM/SM researchers of 12 cavalier King Charles spaniels with Chiari-like malformation, they found that all of these conditions increased over time: syrinx width, height of the foramen magnum, length of cerebellar herniation, and caudal cranial fossa volume. The increase in the volume of the cranial fossa may be due to resorption of the supraoccipital bone as syringomyelia progresses. They conclude: "We hypothesise that active resorption of the supraoccipital bone occurs due to pressure from the cerebellum. These findings have important implications for our understanding of the pathogenesis and variable natural clinical progression of CM and syringomyelia in CKCS."

Details at http://bit.ly/10teTKs
    Last edited by RodRussell; 21st November 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really fascinating information in this study.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Please could someone translate!! I know foramen magnum and cerebellar herniation - is caudal cranial fossa volume dilated ventricles? And what is resorption and the supraoccipital bone?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    Please could someone translate!! I know foramen magnum and cerebellar herniation - is caudal cranial fossa volume dilated ventricles? And what is resorption and the supraoccipital bone?

Kate, Oliver and Aled
    Glad I'm not the only one
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    The supraoccipital bone is the bone covering the hind end of the skull. That is the bone in which the foramen magnum is located. The cranial fossa is the space within the hind end of the skull. It is the volume of space in which the cerebellum has, to be located.

Resorption means that the supraoccipital bone gets thinner. The thinner the supraoccipital bone gets, the more volume the cranial fossa acquires.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rod you often post these research reports on different forums. I often wonder if you find the different reception that news of health studies receive illuminating?

The reaction varies so much............ Intelligent questions here, sneering denial elsewhere.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    Rod you often post these research reports on different forums. I often wonder if you find the different reception that news of health studies receive illuminating?

The reaction varies so much............ Intelligent questions here, sneering denial elsewhere.
    Sneering denials, you suggest? Well, the responses speak for themselves, I guess. But when I offer this information, I am not really looking for reactions; I'm trying to inform the readers.

Having been through a quite nasty US presidential election campaign this year, I found that many people from each side could not understand why anybody would vote for the opponent. This was due to a lot of character assassination on behalf of one of the candidates -- the ultimate winner, in fact. The winner accused his opponent of literally hating anybody who was not white, male, heterosexual, and an income taxpayer. The winner's supporters -- largely non-white, female, non-heterosexual, and non-income-taxpaying voters -- believed the winner's accusations. The supporters of the opponent could not understand how anybody else would believe that character assassination. Both sides heard the same accusations, but one side believed them and the other side did not.

So, nothing surprises me when I read the reactions to the new information I impart about cavaliers.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Sneering denials, you suggest? Well, the responses speak for themselves, I guess. But when I offer this information, I am not really looking for reactions; I'm trying to inform the readers.

Having been through a quite nasty US presidential election campaign this year, I found that many people from each side could not understand why anybody would vote for the opponent. This was due to a lot of character assassination on behalf of one of the candidates -- the ultimate winner, in fact. The winner accused his opponent of literally hating anybody who was not white, male, heterosexual, and an income taxpayer. The winner's supporters -- largely non-white, female, non-heterosexual, and non-income-taxpaying voters -- believed the winner's accusations. The supporters of the opponent could not understand how anybody else would believe that character assassination. Both sides heard the same accusations, but one side believed them and the other side did not.

So, nothing surprises me when I read the reactions to the new information I impart about cavaliers.
    Rod, why are you re-fighting our presidential campaign in a dog forum? Your discussion doesn't support the science of your original post in any way. It's just your opinion. And I do think both sides could make this statement quite truthfully: Both sides heard the same accusations, but one side believed them and the other side did not.

​In any case, thank you posting scientific findings, popular or not, in places where people can and should read them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emkaybee View Post
    Rod, why are you re-fighting our presidential campaign in a dog forum? Your discussion doesn't support the science of your original post in any way. It's just your opinion. And I do think both sides could make this statement quite truthfully: [I]Both sides heard the same accusations, but one side believed them and the other side did not.
    I was using it as a current analogy, to explain my answer to a question I was asked.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Well, differences in reply might be based on the people's experience. This is mainly a pet forum. Another forum Rod posts on frequently has a large amount of long time breeders. What my thoughts on SM are very limited due to the fact I am new to the breed and have never met or seen a cavalier with SM. I haven't seen anyone dismiss the finding that Rod posts but I do see many that are frustrated with the never ending unrelated facts that don't help breeders eliminate this disease.