Thread: So... Baby #1 is growing up, should I get another one?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow So... Baby #1 is growing up, should I get another one?

So Summer is about to turn 6 months old. She is lovely and probably the easiest dog I've ever had the pleasure of having: didn't destroy anything, only peed in the house a couple of times, learned all the basic obedience in maybe a week. She's an angel. And she's growing up.

I had considered getting a boy, and I was thinking maybe after Christmas would be a good time for it. Do you think it would be asking for too much trouble, having two babies in the house? Summer is starting her show career in December, and around February she'll also be starting with agility. I know it will be harder to go to all the shows and train if Summer has a boyfriend, but I keep catching myself looking at her breeder's website!

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher is 9 months old and I feel the same way about him. As far as what I expected from a puppy (all the hard work) was not so bad, tho I know its in NOT over. He has been a pure joy to own and I love him to pieces, so does my family. He is just so sweet, everything I wanted a cavalier to be. At first I thought I want another one as soon as I could get one, now I'm thinking we are going to wait until Fletcher turns 2 to start looking for another cavalier. They say they are collectible, cavaliers and I can understand why...who would only want one of these perfect dogs right? In the dreams I would get 2 puppies at the same time from the same litter. I think I could totally handle it.

If Summer is starting to do shows in December and agility in February I would think you may want to wait longer before getting another. I would wait until late Spring at least. Also, If you are considering breeding you are on the wrong website, very few people on CT would be supportive of that unless you REALLY understand all the health/breeding issues with this breed. I hate to sound like a snob or something, its just a little heads up. Also remember every dog is different, the next pup could be the exact opposite of Summer.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be careful, Lucky's Devil Dog phase started at 6 months.

That said, personally I waited until Lucky was about 18 months before I got another. He had started to settle down then and I got a rescue. I wasn't up for puppy hood again and I found his twin at Lucky Star.

Whichever way you decide, you really can't go wrong. I think every Cavalier should have a Cavalier sibling.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Lady just turned 1 year and 1 month and would be nice for her to have a sibling too. I'm wary about getting a rescue one because I'm nervous about the way they would interact with Lady.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people would say wait until the other dog is older.
    They are already trained so you don't have to worry about training two dogs extensively at the same period, and often the older dog will teach the newbie things.
    plus like Lani said, most dogs will go through an adolescence rebellion stage. Kokoda did this just recently... it was not pretty. he decided that it was ok to pee on the chair inside... after time out he realised that was a bad thing to do haha
    like you said often the opposite sex is recommended, but i have had pairings of the same sex before and no troubles at all.

Also, something else to think about when getting a second dog is that when they reach old age they will do so at the same time.
    this is expensive both cost wise and potentially emotionally as it can be extremely difficult to lose two dogs close to one another.
    Just food for thought.

I will be getting another dog maybe at the end of next year, Kokoda will be 2.
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

I have two dogs (a cavie Charley and a bichon frise Buddy). We got them both Christmas last year when they both 7 weeks old. The boys immediatly bonded and are now inseprable. i know it sounds weird but having 2 dogs made life easier because if I needed to go out to the shops I never felt guilty about leaving a dog home alone as they had each other. I never really found it hard work to raise two pups.

Both of the dogs have completely different personalities. Buddy is mischevious and always manages to get hold of stuf he shouldn't (eg. phones, glasses, remotes and debit cards. But he will let you do anything to him and is very placid, but he always but his head under your hand so you will scratch behind his ears. Charley is a jealous bum and will jump on the sofa and sit round your neck nuzzling into you. Charley is a fast learner and is very smart, we can put his toys in the box and he will go and get the exact one out that you put in.

Having two dogs is very rewarding I think but just make sure you can cope with having a new puppy again if you can then I say go for it. Hope this helps you out.
    Abbie
    Mummy to my baby boy Charle
    y