Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Human Chiari and the Companion Cavalier Club Talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting Tania. I always find it interesting to hear (read) what people say about the condition. They can be the voices of how they feel (weather change, etc.), what helps them (which I have a fascination with how acupuncture helps some. Cavaliers, on the other hand, can help with research etc.

I would like to point out a couple of things that stood out in this thread. I'm a iPhone so I have a hard time quoting.

She said that even human doctors don't know a lot about chiari. I know sometimes we can get frustrated or want answers now, but imagine if you have been living with the condition for years. I think we all want answers with research because it is a really complex condition.

I am so glad to see that CM is also being addressed and she has brought attention to this matter. I know more and more people are discussing their cavaliers with mild or moderate CM being very symptomatic. I remember not long ago when people spoke out about it, yet they were an exception. People said there are very, very few with mild CM and extreme symptoms yet on forums I am finding more and more. I am not saying pain is from CM or SM but it has to be talked about and not dismissed. There are cavaliers with significant pain from CM. It has nothing to do with research, trying to dismiss protocals (the protocol says not to breed symptomatic cavaliers period) but that awareness is being made to the issue.

I am glad to read that Sandrac said that she will no longer say or think that your cavalier only has CM and that's great. Remember some SM cavaliers are not symptomatic so a cavalier in pain is a cavalier in pain whether the do or do not have SM.

It is sad to think that with the amount of cavaliers having CM having this pain but most don't. Some with SM don't either.

I have to be honest and that I have questions about the muzzle and CM/SM. obviously it is in toy breeds but i need more facts. Maybe we will find out more later. One question is that king Charles spaniels (English toy spaniels) have a much more flat face but it is common in cavaliers. I know it is seen in KCS but is it that we know more about cavaliers and don't know % affected in KCS?

Very interesting.
    Last edited by anniemac; 28th November 2012 at 05:24 AM.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know it is seen in KCS but is it that we know more about cavaliers and don't know % affected in KCS?
    To some degree, but KCs are not seen for this type of pain as often so researchers doubt the rate is anywhere like the rate in cavaliers and so far no breed seems as predisposed. However hydrocephalus is a big problem in KCs -- again likely related to skull shape and skull shape is likely affected by decisions made about general appearance. Some cavaliers also have hydrocephalus; lots of chihuahuas do.

There is research indicating that skull shape seems directly related to incidence of SM with Brussels griffons. It has been noted here earlier (Rod posted on another thread) that an effort is underway to determine if this holds for cavaliers and other SM-predisposed breeds. More info:

http://clarerusbridge-news.blogspot....archer-at.html

Radiographs (x-rays of the skull) have been shown to help identify dogs at risk of the disease in the Griffon Bruxellois, but this study aims to determine if aspects of the conformation are risk factors (contributing elements) for CMSM. This may identify an additional method of indicating disease by measuring the head and body of the dogs and act as an adjunct to the current scheme.
    Such information may help the breeder reduce the costs for testing by identifying the best dogs to scan and reduce incidence in the long-run. It may also allow breeders to decide on matings based on the overall conformation of the dog and not only on the results of the MRI.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I posted a few weeks ago about the Chihuahua Club having a health seminar on SM and epilepsy. There was a report in the breed notes the week after that the speaker on SM (Dr Volk from the Royal Veterinary College, I think) had said that 'any dog diagnosed with hydrocephalus will almost certainly have SM' - which means that he feels SM is quite widespread in the breed, as hydrocephalus is common. I wonder if he would extend this to King Charles, who also suffer from hydrocephalus. King Charles are also a common ancestor of both Griffons and Cavaliers.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting; thanks for that Kate. I understand there's a pretty low level of KCs being MRId.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

KC numbers are pretty small of course, but in their Our Dogs breed notes there's a deafening silence on the whole subject of SM - but then, there's an equal silence in the Cavalier notes! Our Dogs has started having a regular glossy supplement focusing on different breeds; Cavaliers appeared in the first issue, with lots of enthusiasm for what great family dogs they are, what lovely temperaments, etc, etc and not a single mention that they have two major diseases that threaten the very existence of the breed, and the care needed in buying a puppy. Perhaps the writer felt that wasn't the place to mention problems - it's not clear who the supplement is aimed at, show people or potential puppy buyers - but I wish people would realise that they will get much more appreciation if they are open about problems in the breed, what the breeders are doing about it, and how potential puppy buyers can do their best to avoid them. A deafening silence, when most people reading the article will know at least that the problems exist, even if they don't know much about them, simply reflects badly on Cavalier breeders.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    ... (Dr Volk from the Royal Veterinary College, I think) had said that 'any dog diagnosed with hydrocephalus will almost certainly have SM' - which means that he feels SM is quite widespread in the breed, as hydrocephalus is common. I wonder if he would extend this to King Charles, who also suffer from hydrocephalus. ...
    Whether King Charles spaniels have SM due to hydrocephalus would not appear to relate to CM/SM in cavaliers. Hydrocephalus can build up pressure in the brain, causing syrinx to develop, but that is not the same underlying problem as Chiari-like malformation causing a pressure build up, as we know occurs in cavaliers. They appear to me to be two different disorders.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    ... Cavaliers appeared in the first issue, with lots of enthusiasm for what great family dogs they are, what lovely temperaments, etc, etc and not a single mention that they have two major diseases that threaten the very existence of the breed, and the care needed in buying a puppy. Perhaps the writer felt that wasn't the place to mention ...
    Perhaps the writer wanted to be invited back to write more breed articles.
    Rod Russell