Thread: Fletcher's First Christmas "Experience"

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fletcher's First Christmas "Experience"

Last night my husband and I pulled out the Christmas tree and got it put together. I'm crazy and own a 12 foot fake pre-lit tree it takes sooooo long to get it up we do it AFTER bedtime just so the kids are not bugging us to hurry up. As always Fletcher was VERY interested in what we were doing. He was sniffing the box and I was prepared not to have a tree skirt this year because as many of you know Fletcher loves to eat fabric so I was ready for that. I also went out and bought some of that bitter spray that is to keep dogs from chewing things because I could not think of any other way to keep Fletcher and the tree safe.
    So Fletcher was all about the tree until we plugged it in................he ran away whining!!!!!!!! At first I thought maybe he somehow got hurt so I went over to him he was all over me like HELP MOMMY. My husband and I were very puzzled. He calmed down quickly as soon as I took him into the kitchen. My husband unplugged the tree and started to clean up. I took Fletcher outside to potty he was completely normal then we went back in the living room. He was VERY slow to approach the tree (unlit) that got me thinking. He afraid of the tree lights. To test this theory, I walked over at hit the switch to the lights....................exact same reaction!!!!!!!!!!!! Fletcher is afraid of the lights in the freaking TREE Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to just leave it off for now (its not done no ointments) We are going to decorate it tomorrow. I am hoping he will get used to it being up unlit first then maybe try the lights in the daytime? Here I am thinking how am I going to keep the dog from eating the Christmas tree and now he's afraid of it.

Totally funny, this puppy keeps me on my toes at all times!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Very cute! Fletcher is such a character!

Post Thanks / Like

Very funny! You just never know what is going to spook a puppy.

You might want to put an x-pen around the base of the tree if he overcomes his fear of the lights! Then you can put down your tree skirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavalover View Post
    Very cute! Fletcher is such a character!
    I agree! Love your stories about him. My guess is that he will get use to the lights and that's when the fun will really begin!
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I bought dark green fine netting (at Hobby Lobby) and wrapped it around the bottom 4 feet of our tree, and gathered it around the "trunk" after I decorated it. I used a stapler to hold it together on the backside where the netting came together, lol. Worked like a charm, and I've used it for a toddler, a 1 year old boxer, a Cavalier puppy and this year I'm thinking I will probably put it up for Emma. I was concerned that I wouldn't hear her if she decided to go after one of the ornament despite the netting, but the big jingle bells I had on the tree would jingle any time someone bothered the netting!

It's probably too late for your tree this year , but I have seen some pictures on Pinterest where people have bought the really big planters and set up their artificial trees in it instead of a tree skirt. Nice planter, pretty bow (sprayed with bitter apple? haha)...they looked GREAT . Now you have a year to find a nice one on clearance, lol .

Post Thanks / Like

hahahhahaha aweeeee poor little fletcher!!!!!

my place is too small for my real(fake) christmas tree..but even if it was..my younger cat would have it on the floor in 2 seconds flat.
    my mum got us a charlie brown christmas tree...with music and all! lol
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

This will be the first Christmas tree Bentley has encountered even though he's almost 2 years old. We did not decorate at all last year due to our daughter's passing away on Dec 22, 2011. It'll be difficult again this year but we have to start sometime! Bentley's pretty good about responding to No-No! so I'm not terribly concerned. As for bitter apple--I paid a hefty price for a bottle of that stuff and it didn't faze him at all concerning chewing furniture, area rugs, etc. Thankfully, he's past that stage and hubby can get everything refinished. HOWEVER, now the shedding has returned with a vengeance!