Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tribute to Tommy Tuppence

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default A Tribute to Tommy Tuppence

Tommy was bred by me in October 2000. He was actually born in the car as we we were taking his mother to the vets. Her labour had stalled & she needed an injection to get things moving again.

Tom was intended to be a show dog but my increasing mobility problems made me decide to get a smaller breed that could be shown at a slower pace, so that was when my first Japanese Chin came into our lives.

He was a wimp, one of those dogs that gave a yelp very occasionally for no reason. When I found out about SM I wondered, but thought I was being paranoid. When the first low cost scans became available I took him for a scan. He had a syrinx.

He went deaf at a young age, he was good at obeying hand signals when you caught his eye, but walks were often complicated by Tommy taking off in the opposite direction to all the other dogs and not looking back.

Tommy was one of the sweetest natured dogs I have known. He was frequently mugged by little Chin Bridgette, who would attack him and steal his treat. Tom would wag his tail and apologetically step back to let her take it. I don't think he knew how to growl.

When I smiled at him his face would change. He had the most expressive face and beautiful dark eyes. Even when he had lost most of his teeth and his poor tongue lolled out his mouth and stained his muzzle, I would look at him and my heart would melt at the gentle look on his greying old face.

Tom's SM was well controlled for many years but this Spring it became impossible to control his bouts of SM pain. I arranged for him to go into the Cavalier Collection Scheme and be PTS at Cambridge by one of the researchers, Dr Penny Watson.

Penny on hearing Tommy had recently been changed to a high fat kidney diagnosed him as having pancreatitis ( he had no diarrhoea or vomiting ) which was heightening his SM symptoms. I brought him home again with sedation until the pancreatitis attack had diminished and a change of diet.

After that it was a bit of a roller coaster. Two dental operations proved necessary, a homemade rice based diet to try and balance the conflicting dietary demands for renal and pancreatic diseases. A stubborn urinary tract infection. Through it all Tommy Tuppence remained loving, with slobbery misdirected kisses from his unruly tongue and he seemed free of pain, his body relaxed with no twitching when sleeping and with no pawing at my legs for help and attention. I loved the fact he was still just a little bit naughty by deliberately taking himself off in the wrong direction during walks.

Unfortunately blood tests taken last week showed that we were not being successful in controlling the kidney disease. He had lost a lot of weight and his back legs were letting him down.

On Wednesday I took him back to Cambridge and Penny Watson knelt beside him on the floor and gave him rest. I had my hand on his side and I felt his heart stop. It was so quick, and so easy for him, and I appreciate with all my heart the care & kindness shown to us.

I had him to love and spoil for another seven months. It was a special time, I wish it had been longer but I am relieved that I decided to let him go while he still seemed comfortable in his body. I was told that the raised levels in his blood would have soon caused him to start fitting.

Tommy has given samples for the three research projects we support through the Collection Scheme. His ashes will eventually join those of my other dogs on a special beach in Norfolk.
    Last edited by Margaret C; 30th November 2012 at 07:41 PM.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Margaret, I'm in tears. What a wonderful tribute for your special boy. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry...he was well loved.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you lost your lovely Tommy. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you. I could almost see his face from your description.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Typing through tears here Margaret. I am so sorry, but you saved him from suffering and stayed with him to the end. Tommy will be looking down on your from above and sending you sloppy kisses whenever you need them. R.I.P. sweet boy, knowing how much you were loved.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Dear margaret, i,am so sorry to hear about Tommy, he had such a wonderful life with you, and he was so loved, i,am overcome with sadness, for your loss, he will always be with you, and your memories of him will be of comfort to you in time.God bless you, karen, ruby and sadie xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Margaret

I'm so sorry you have finally lost Tommy, but glad that you had these extra last few months with him. Oliver shares his ability to wander off when he doesn't want to see the hand signal calling him back!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry Margaret. I think a lot of us saw a little of Tommy in our dogs - Riley's rear legs get all tangled up like Tommy's and it seems like she sometimes doesn't know where they are, my Oz is a little bit naughty like Tommy, and Kate said Oliver is a bit like Tommy also. So even though he's moved on, he is still living in all of our dogs and all of our hearts. It really is a peaceful, but sad, moment at the end. I'm so glad you were able to be there for him.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Margaret, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm in tears and I can only imagine how sad you feel. Tommy was one of the lucky cavaliers who had all the love and support he needed throughout his life, and you did well by him. It was lovely to hear your story of how he entered the world, how much you loved him and how you held him at the end. Tommy was a special boy who was loved by a very special lady xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Margaret I was so sorry to read about Tommy. Your tribute to him is lovely. I can only imagine how you are feeling and hope that you are doing ok. Tommy was a very special boy.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008