• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Tribute to Tommy Tuppence

Margaret C

Tommy was bred by me in October 2000. He was actually born in the car as we we were taking his mother to the vets. Her labour had stalled & she needed an injection to get things moving again.

Tom was intended to be a show dog but my increasing mobility problems made me decide to get a smaller breed that could be shown at a slower pace, so that was when my first Japanese Chin came into our lives.

He was a wimp, one of those dogs that gave a yelp very occasionally for no reason. When I found out about SM I wondered, but thought I was being paranoid. When the first low cost scans became available I took him for a scan. He had a syrinx.

He went deaf at a young age, he was good at obeying hand signals when you caught his eye, but walks were often complicated by Tommy taking off in the opposite direction to all the other dogs and not looking back.

Tommy was one of the sweetest natured dogs I have known. He was frequently mugged by little Chin Bridgette, who would attack him and steal his treat. Tom would wag his tail and apologetically step back to let her take it. I don't think he knew how to growl.

When I smiled at him his face would change. He had the most expressive face and beautiful dark eyes. Even when he had lost most of his teeth and his poor tongue lolled out his mouth and stained his muzzle, I would look at him and my heart would melt at the gentle look on his greying old face.

Tom's SM was well controlled for many years but this Spring it became impossible to control his bouts of SM pain. I arranged for him to go into the Cavalier Collection Scheme and be PTS at Cambridge by one of the researchers, Dr Penny Watson.

Penny on hearing Tommy had recently been changed to a high fat kidney diagnosed him as having pancreatitis ( he had no diarrhoea or vomiting ) which was heightening his SM symptoms. I brought him home again with sedation until the pancreatitis attack had diminished and a change of diet.

After that it was a bit of a roller coaster. Two dental operations proved necessary, a homemade rice based diet to try and balance the conflicting dietary demands for renal and pancreatic diseases. A stubborn urinary tract infection. Through it all Tommy Tuppence remained loving, with slobbery misdirected kisses from his unruly tongue and he seemed free of pain, his body relaxed with no twitching when sleeping and with no pawing at my legs for help and attention. I loved the fact he was still just a little bit naughty by deliberately taking himself off in the wrong direction during walks.

Unfortunately blood tests taken last week showed that we were not being successful in controlling the kidney disease. He had lost a lot of weight and his back legs were letting him down.

On Wednesday I took him back to Cambridge and Penny Watson knelt beside him on the floor and gave him rest. I had my hand on his side and I felt his heart stop. It was so quick, and so easy for him, and I appreciate with all my heart the care & kindness shown to us.

I had him to love and spoil for another seven months. It was a special time, I wish it had been longer but I am relieved that I decided to let him go while he still seemed comfortable in his body. I was told that the raised levels in his blood would have soon caused him to start fitting.

Tommy has given samples for the three research projects we support through the Collection Scheme. His ashes will eventually join those of my other dogs on a special beach in Norfolk.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost your lovely Tommy. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you. I could almost see his face from your description.

Typing through tears here Margaret. I am so sorry, but you saved him from suffering and stayed with him to the end. Tommy will be looking down on your from above and sending you sloppy kisses whenever you need them. R.I.P. sweet boy, knowing how much you were loved.

Dear margaret, i,am so sorry to hear about Tommy, he had such a wonderful life with you, and he was so loved, i,am overcome with sadness, for your loss, he will always be with you, and your memories of him will be of comfort to you in time.God bless you, karen, ruby and sadie xxx

Dear Margaret

I'm so sorry you have finally lost Tommy, but glad that you had these extra last few months with him. Oliver shares his ability to wander off when he doesn't want to see the hand signal calling him back!

Kate, Oliver and Aled:hug:

I'm so sorry Margaret. I think a lot of us saw a little of Tommy in our dogs - Riley's rear legs get all tangled up like Tommy's and it seems like she sometimes doesn't know where they are, my Oz is a little bit naughty like Tommy, and Kate said Oliver is a bit like Tommy also. So even though he's moved on, he is still living in all of our dogs and all of our hearts. It really is a peaceful, but sad, moment at the end. I'm so glad you were able to be there for him.

Dear Margaret, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm in tears and I can only imagine how sad you feel. Tommy was one of the lucky cavaliers who had all the love and support he needed throughout his life, and you did well by him. It was lovely to hear your story of how he entered the world, how much you loved him and how you held him at the end. Tommy was a special boy who was loved by a very special lady xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Margaret I was so sorry to read about Tommy. Your tribute to him is lovely. I can only imagine how you are feeling and hope that you are doing ok. Tommy was a very special boy.

hi margaret
im so sorry to read about your loss of tommy tuppence you must be heart broken
what a beautiful tribute to him

So sorry Margaret....I always believe when we lose loved ones they live on in our hearts as I am sure Tommy will in yours.

Tommy had to be one of the luckiest cavaliers in the world. You were with him from the second he was born until the minuted he passed and all the life in between, how lucky for you to get to have yet another wonderful relationship with a beloved pet. My heart goes out to you today. It warms my soul that you were so "in tune" with how he was feeling you had the knowledge, courage and companion to take the very best care of him his whole life. I know you will miss him dearly.

Hello Margaret,
Like many others your tribute to Tommy has reduced me to tears. What a wonderful gentleman he was. Im now off to give my Leo a huge cuddle.

Thinking of you :hug:

Dear Margaret, I am so sorry. Tommy seemed to be such a character. Your tribute to him is so beautiful and moving.

We are thinking of you and your family and send you our love.
Christine

What a beautiful tribute, my deepest condolences. Tommy Tuppence seemed to be a real character

I'm sorry I've been missing, and therefore didn't know this news. I remember the while pancreatitis scare, and you ending up bringing him home with a new diet.

He sounds like such a delight, and I am sure you will miss him greatly.

Oh Margaret I am so sorry. It hurts so much. It was just Abbey's one year anniversary since I put her down so I hope she was at the gates to play with Tommy and welcome him. My heart hurts for you.

Thank you to everyone who has posted.

I still miss him every day but the heart aching sense of loss is slowly get better. I'm lucky that I have the fluffies. It would be much harder if there was no little dog to snuggle with me on the bed.

Linda, I really like the thought that your precious Abbey was there to greet him. Tommy loved the girls in a silly bumbling clumsy dog way, so the mental picture made me smile. Thank you my friend.

Back