• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jazz getting spayed tomorrow

Nix105

I know it's the right thing to do but boy am I nervous about jazz going for her op tomorrow - all my family dogs when I was growing up were spayed but this time it's different - I guess I'm a mum now, although one of a fur-baby :lol:

I'm sending my partner to the vet because I'm so worried she'll pick up on my nervousness and I don't want to worry her- He's sending me to work! I'll be so glad when she's home.

any hints or tips on looking after her once she's home will be gratefully received

I have no advice to give, just want to wish Jazz the best tomorrow and an uneventful recovery.
I too am nervous about BellaMia's spay, and hers won't be for a few more months yet!

I want to say goodluck to her for tomorrow.

A hint i have is that she may just be feeling a bit sorry for herself, so be comforting and give her lots of cuddles.
If she is worrying at her stitches, rather than a cone around her head, invest in some baby jumpsuits that will cover them, she will be much happier with clothes rather than a bucket on her head! I find that the dogs hate the 'cone of shame'..

Good luck for today - I've just dropped Rosie off at the vet for her spay, I know she'll be fine but still can't help worrying.
Unlike all my other bitches who had the traditional remove everything operation, Rosie is just having her ovaries removed, not her uterus, so it will be interesting to see what her pain levels and recovery time is like in comparison.

Bless her, I've got some nice white fish ready to steam for her tonight (we don't give chicken in this house since Maddie developed colitis everytime she had chicken or turkey). I'm sure she'll feel really sorry for herself.
I didn't need a cone for Maddie, she was a very good girl who didn't worry at her stitches at all, I don't think I'll be that lucky this time.

Let us know how Jazz gets on.

Thanks all - she was dropped off earlier this morning and apparantly the "brakes" went on the second she went into the vets reception....do they know? she had puppy socailisation at the vets and she had no problem at all being there, but now it seems she's picked up "the fear". Thankfully her favourite nurse is on duty so I know she'll be given some cuddles later.....

I'm an emotional wreck already!

I'll update you all later.

Thanks all - she was dropped off earlier this morning and apparantly the "brakes" went on the second she went into the vets reception....do they know? she had puppy socailisation at the vets and she had no problem at all being there, but now it seems she's picked up "the fear". Thankfully her favourite nurse is on duty so I know she'll be given some cuddles later......

They must know - Rosie was the same, she went in ok, but as soon as the nurse came to get her the brakes went on and she hid under the chair. Then she couldn't possibly walk so had to be carried. Little minx.

The Kong company makes a nice inflatable collar too; some shops carry these (as well as some vets!).

Dogs really differ with the cone. I generally try to avoid using them, but have found that Jaspar for one isn;t in the least bothered by the cone! Yet he is impossible to brush. :rolleyes:

When Pippin was castrated he loved the cone, if I didn't keep a close eye on what he was doing he would use it to skid Maddie sideways along the floor in the kitchen. I abandoned it completely with him when he learned to lie on his side and push his knee in so he could get to his stitches. Pest! :hug:

Jazz is home safe and sound, she's a bit like bambi skating on the lake for the first time and feeling very sorry for herself but I'm so glad she's home! Those big brown eyes are making me feel very guilty but I know the worse is over now.

i have been sent home with the cone of shame, I haven't tried her with it, she's not shown the slightest interest in her stitches yet - she won't even let me see them yet!

MadPip - is Rosie home yet?

It isn't likely that Jazz will try to undo her stitches, but I would put the cone on her at bedtime, or even a little while before, just to be on the safe side.

Jazz is home safe and sound, she's a bit like bambi skating on the lake for the first time and feeling very sorry for herself but I'm so glad she's home! Those big brown eyes are making me feel very guilty but I know the worse is over now.

i have been sent home with the cone of shame, I haven't tried her with it, she's not shown the slightest interest in her stitches yet - she won't even let me see them yet!

MadPip - is Rosie home yet?

Hi Nicki, yes she's safe and sound curled up next to me. She was handed over wearing her cone. I've taken it off for now, but she will have it back on at bedtime. I think she may investigate her stitches so I'd rather be safe than sorry. The one I'm having to watch is Pippin, he's very interested in sniffing where her stitches are, so I'm keeping them separated. She needed extra morphine post-op as she was "quite uncomfortable" to quote the vet nurse, so they kept her for a couple of hours more. She's had a little something to eat and is getting less wobbly. Bambi on ice sums it up perfectly, especially as she is a ruby. ;)

I'm going to sleep downstairs with them tonight in case she needs anything during the night. She's also got 3 days worth of painkillers to have, and is due a wound check on Wednesday.

I hope Jazz has a good night for you.

Back