• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

stomach noise and vomiting

zenkar

Hello all my dog Gizmo has been vomiting and has a very noisy stomach for close to a month now. I first tried to give him rice and boiled chicken but it did not help. We brought him to the vet for blood work and X-ray but nothing was found. The vet gave us special food and shots and it seemed he was getting better but then he started vomiting again but not as much. His stools are fine and he mostly acts normal and he isnt vomiting everything like he used too. Right now he is sleeping next to me and his stomach is making noise and he wont eat his breakfast. Really weird thing is he tried to chew our wooden chair legs and tree branches outside. anyone have any suggestions that we can try? I cant afford another 400$ visit to the vet.

How old is Gizmo now? I think an adult? I ask as puppies need to chew to exercise their developing jaws and need to chew a lot around age 6-12 months in particular. Furniture will do them fine (and many adult dogs like to chew furniture too) if nothing else is there or if the dog has not been trained to make other choices or blocked from having access -- but obviously you don;t want him damaging furniture (which can also be dangerous if there are toxic paints/splinters of wood...) and want to manage him so that he doesn't have access to things you don't want him to chew. Chewing sticks can be dangerous too.

It sounds like he definitely has some tummy problems! These can be hard to diagnose. Did the vets check for food intolerances? Pancreatitis (unfortunately a high incidence in the breed)? If this only started in the past month I would guess he might be getting access to eat something outdoors or in the house that is upsetting his stomach... has anything in his diet changed recently? Any new chews/treats?

Have you tried a a commercial raw diet? The latter worked wonders for me with a cat that had gastro problems for years and the vet could find nothing obviously wrong.

Do people give him fatty scraps (can cause and exacerbate pancreatitis, which can be very serious).

You can get probiotic supplements that might help...

Is he insured? A very good idea to insure though he now would not be covered for gastro problems.

When our dogs ' stomachs make those growling noises, like having kittens in the belly, and they lose their appetites, we give them a cocktail of slippery elm and chlorophyll to soothe their stomachs. It usually works, but not every time.

I think Karlin's suggestions, especially the pro-biotics, are excellent.

I'm not sure how old your dog is. My 1 year old Cav has always had a very sensitive tummy, and the pro-biotics (bought in Petsmart) really do help. He has a habit of picking things up on his walk, which does not help matters. Is it possible that your dog ate an acorn? I'm in Staten Island, NY (not too far from NJ) and Bosco once ate one of those, before I realized it, and he was sick with diarhhea for almost a week. I would also be very careful what he is fed in the house. We all know that Cav's love to get treats, but do not cave! Stick with the bland diet or vet-prescribed food, and nothing else. If he is not dehydrated or losing weight, try being ultra observant of what he is eating inside your home, and outside. I would do that for a week, before going back to the vet.

My 13.5 year old Cav has this symptom. It only happens in the early morning though. I have discussed this with my vet; she seems to think my dog's problem is related to an empty stomach (I can't remember this specifically but I think there is a bit of acid build-up that causes the stomach growling and the vomiting - that is only bile.). As a result, I make it a point to feed him at regular time intervals. If I have to feed him earlier than usual at night, I give him a little treat before going to bed. If I hear him in the morning before I'm prepared to get up, I usually get him up for his business and breakfast. Food always thwarts the problem for his problem.

My first thought was pancreatitis, as my Nash (Cocker) had those stomach sounds when he was developing pancreatitis. He would sometimes spit up bile. I would keep him off food and water for a day, then either just give him boiled chicken and white rice, with a bit of broth, very little, or I would give him canned Hills Prescription I/D, just a little with water mushed into it.

Hoping your pup is doing better.

Just a little update.. He did go to the vet and everything was fine with bloodwork/xrays ect.. Right now we are giving him 5mg pepcid twice a day or else the growls/puking starts.. once he does puke he will not want to eat till the next day.. Gizmo is now 6 years old.. I have also been trying Manuka Honey and Salmon oil. Not sure if this is related but he does get sores on his skin belly/back which we are pretty sure is just allergies.

Back