• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for a new home from January - Ruby cavalier

Emma n Renco

Hi,

I used to be an active member of this group as the owner of Harvey (Ruby - 6yrs in January) and Bella (Black & tan) cavaliers. Since then a lot happened. Bella passed away because of heart problems, and I became a mummy to 2 boys (2.5yr & 5 months). We live in The Netherlands but I am from the UK. We have taken the decision to leave The Netherlands in February and go travelling round Australia with the children with the view to finding work if possible. Because of all of the uncertainty we thought long and hard about what to do for the best for our fur baby Harvey and came to the very difficult decision to find him a new home. We had a home lined up for Harvey to go to, but unfortunately this has fallen through and we no longer have any options that we are happy with. For this reason I am doing this post.

About Harvey: (photo is in my profile but I can send more if needed).
Castrated male,
Slightly larger than pure cavs
6yrs old, in perfect health
Very loving of course & great with children.
Loves attention & playing but loves sleeping even more.
Not good with cats and is very much the under dog around other dogs. (for this reason, we think pet free would be best as he's used to being alone).

Our ideal home would be:
Able to take him at the end of January (we will bring him to the UK as required).
pet free home (I know that everyone here probably has dogs already, but maybe you know someone in your network?)
Older person / couple who are looking for a companion.
Willing to keep in touch with me to send updates or photos every so often.
In the UK or The Netherlands (purely because of logistical reasons).

Looking forward to hearing from you if you think Harvey would make the ideal new family member for you.

Emma & Renco

I have e-mailed the Rescue Co-ordinator at the Midland Cavalier Club. They probably have a long waiting list including somebody who would have the ideal home for your Harvey. If you haven't found somebody before I get a reply and they have somebody suitable I will put you in touch with each other.

I have e-mailed the Rescue Co-ordinator at the Midland Cavalier Club. They probably have a long waiting list including somebody who would have the ideal home for your Harvey. If you haven't found somebody before I get a reply and they have somebody suitable I will put you in touch with each other.

Oh that's great thank you! Fingers crossed for a perfect home :) much appreciated thank you

I am still waiting to hear from the rescue co-ordinator of the Midland Club, but I now understand that my e-mail arrived on the very day he left for a fortnight's holiday. I thought perhaps I should check that you haven't already found a new home for Harvey before I chase things up. Could you let me know please.

I am in brussels if Harvey needs to stop somewhere for a few evenings. Unfortunately I can't offer much more assistance.

I am sure breed rescue in the UK can take him in -- we'd take him at Irish Cavalier Rescue but that's a bit far to travel. Let us know the current situation for you, Emma. I know what a difficult decision this must be.

Also have you contacted the Dutch breed club? I am sure they would do rescue.

One issue about working with breed or any rescue is that they are very unlikely, for legal reasons, to agree to past and future owners to stay in touch and this requirement is going to put off probably most possible new owners you might try to find on your own (unless a family friend)-- people usually do not want conditions attached to their ownership. This was a strict policy in every rescue I have ever worked with, and in my own. It can seem tough if you are the person giving up a much loved dog, but consider how you might feel if you were the new owner -- most new owners feel very nervous that the old owner will want their dog back back or is checking up on their management of their dog, while former owners can end up harassed by new owners if there are any unexpected behaviour or health issues and the new owners start to grill them or demand they pay costs etc.

Most rescues will agree to give an update or two on how the dog is doing in its new home but will lack resources to do this indefinitely. But every responsible rescue I know will require former owners to sign a legal release form when they surrender a dog to rescue, and wont allow contact with the new home (or tell who the new home is or where).

Hi,

Must have been coincidence, but one of my friends has asked to have Harvey, I am so so utterly happy with this new home. They will love and enjoy him so much. Thank you for your replies to this post and your help finding a new home for him but I am also very relieved to say that you no longer need to take any actions. Thanks again for your help.

Emma :)

So relieved to hear this news!!!! I could tell you were getting anxious, with the worry of it all, i wish you well, and I,am sure Harvey will settle down nicely. Karen,Ruby and Sadie x

That's fantastic news! :mexwav:

I thought perhaps you'd found a suitable arrangement when all went quiet for a while. :) Sounds like the perfect ending all around!

Back