Thread: Cheap Dog Toys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap Dog Toys

I have 2 dogs and the boys go through dog toys like there is no tomorrow and it's very pricey in the shops to replace them. But I think I've found the answer. Me and my mum go to a car boot sale on a sunday, when we were there I seen a cute little kids teddy in the shape of a dog, I got it for the boys as a present that was all the way back in March and I finally had to throw the teddy out yesterday. It had cost 50p and last 9 months. So for Christmas we have got them 10 teddies from the car boot sale which has added up to a fiver. Throughout the year we will occasionally get them a new one. We think it's a perfect cheap alternative. All you have to do is make sure the teddy doesn't have any beads on the outside (e.g. for nose and eyes) or anything else on the inside except for stuffing. If there isn't any carboot sales by you try a charity shop, then your money's going to a good cause. Hope this helps others
    Abbie
    Mummy to my baby boy Charle
    y

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Abbie, you're going to hate me for this and I'm so sorry to cast a cloud over your lovely post and such a good idea but............

Only ever give dogs toys made for dogs. Many toys made for babies and small children are filled with stuffing containing toxins (poisons such as Arsenic are common), particularly those made in China considered safe there because babies aren't likely to bite their toys open so that they can suck/eat the stuffing from inside. Some are quite safe, but how can any of us know the difference without taking the filling out of the toy to get it checked out. There are import regulations imposed on shop bought toys designed for both children and dogs. They cost more because they have been proved safe in use and somebody who knows what they are doing has made random checks on the safety of what's inside them.

I have heard of several dogs dying in tragic circumstances because of these toxic stuffings, please don't let me read that it has happened to one of the CT dogs.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped giving the girls toys made with any fabric. Lady consumes anything and everything with fabric, or even toys that arent made of a very indestructable material. I'll have to take a picture of a few of my fleece blankets - it looks like Im infested with supersized moths! Not to mention the potential danger if some of the string got wrapped up inside her intestines. So now all I give are the toys meant for "very strong chewers". You'd think I owned a pitbull
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the advice I'm so glad I found this out before any of my boys got hurt. Looks like there getting the extra strong toys most of the others last them a week max. You wouldn't think there both small dogs.
    Abbie
    Mummy to my baby boy Charle
    y

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abbiex View Post
    Thank you both for the advice I'm so glad I found this out before any of my boys got hurt. Looks like there getting the extra strong toys most of the others last them a week max. You wouldn't think there both small dogs.
    And I am so glad that I didn't offend you in any way. I was really worried that I would.

My girl Bubbles is just as bad as your boys. She can strip a toy to the cloth in about 30 seconds, even the extra strong ones, when she feels like a chew and a suck. Even when she just throws them about and chews the outsides I have to check when she's in bed for any lesions in the covering and sew it up with strong cord, otherwise it will be destuffed first thing in the morning and there's a limit to how many toys I can afford to buy each month.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK