Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: average weight- 12 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Default average weight- 12 weeks

So i was just wondering..what or if theres an average weight for 12 weeks?
    she was at the vet for her 2nd set of shots, and the vet said shes at a normal healthy weight.. 6.5 pounds.
    but we met up with her littermate the next day..who even at the time i picked maggie up at 8 weeks..was small for her age. her litter mte is 5.4 pouns right now.. thats over a pound lighter then maggie.
    you could tell the size difference yesterday when we had them together..
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by MomObvious; 30th December 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: my husband was talking to me and I messed up
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Chelsea don't get caught up in the numbers. Every dog like every child is different!!!!! If your vet said she's great on weight just roll with it. I thought Fletcher was going to be a big cavalier however now he is perfectly standard size. You never know but I sure do hope my kids are taller than me.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver was always overweight..thats why i get a little worried. Both my cats are overweight..im over weight..lol i am determind to have maggie average
    but yeah the vet said shes at a good weight.
    her sisters got a longer body..but is thinner. it was funny.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

ohh breeder just told me their litter mate (which she kept) weights 7.8! with maggie at 6.5 and sister carly at 4.5
    such a difference!!
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thistle was a hefty girl when I picked her up (I don't remember how much though-not fat just a lot of wiggly puppy), she was the largest in her litter at that time.

And somehow she grew up to be on the small end if the spectrum. She might weigh 14 lbs now at 2 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Our first puppy (a male) was about that size but as with you our vet advised he was not overweight and he turned out perfectly healthy and a good weight. Our girl was smaller at about 5 pounds at 12 weeks - just depends on the dog, dont be worried!

Post Thanks / Like

I just pulled Luke's records out to check on it. He was 7.5lbs at 12 weeks. So, he was possibly on the larger side. He will be 4 next month. He was 13.5 lbs until he started flyball (at around 2.5). He's been ranging around 14-14.5 since he was 3 years old. He seems like he's right about average height, at least according to standard. He measures at 12.5 inches at the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like

Lady was the smallest in her litter and i expected her to be very small. She was only about 5-6lbs around 12 weeks (3-4lbs when I got her at 8 weeks) but now shes 11 months and is just over 15lbs.

I wouldnt be concerned with her being overweight, especially being so young still. One thing to be careful of though is after spaying they can put weight on rather quickly. It almost seemed like overnight and lady had a bit too much fat on her. So just make sure that once she is spayed you cut the food down a bit and keep a close eye on her for weight gain, and to figure out the proper amount of food.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Have found a website that predicts adult weight from age and current weight for different breeds including CKCS. I was reassured that Lottie - 2.45kg at 12 weeks is reckoned to be 5.3 kg when adult which is great. It's difficult to judge because we don't know any Cavaliers her age and the pups at classes are always enormous by comparison!