• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy hernia

Super Princess

Almost every puppy in maggies litter was born with a puppy hernia.
I THINK (and dont quote me cause i coulda been wrong) The breeder said that it was because mum was in too much of a hurry when they were born.
i was never very concerned..oliver had one..and i loved his.. his little 'belly button' as we called it. and im pretty sur we got it removed when he was nutered.

when i had maggie at the vet on thursday..she said it would get removed during spaying..that it wa sa little on the larger side..and for this reason there was a little concern that her intestines could fall into it?!?!?

I had THE WORST night mare about that lastnight..i dreamed it popped, and that there was a gaping hole in her belly..and things and blood were everywhere...
It was horrible.

I could be wrong Chelsea, but most of the pups I bred and definitely almost all of those I've bought in over the years have had these hernias, some larger than others. Winston Alexander has an enormous one. But none of them have ever given the slightest cause for concern.

Sleep well tonight and try not to worry. The vet might be a little short on experience of umbilical hernias or is probably covering herself for the unlikely event of something going wrong with the hernia during the spay.

my previous cav Anzac had one, and so does Kokoda.
Kokoda's is smaller than Anzacs was, so the vet didn't feel it was necessary to remove it during his neuter.
So he still has a bellybutton :)

MY breeder said they occurred because the mother was in a hurry and not as gentle as she shoud have been,
but they didn't bother me at all :)

I would say as byflosin said, that she is just telling you the worst as that is necessary before doing the surgery.
You have to be aware of the risks before any surgery, even if it is just as mild as a hernia.

The breeder said that it was because mum was in too much of a hurry when they were born.

Can't really say if this is true or not. Sydney was a natural birth and had his removed during his neuter. He had no probleme afterwards. BellaMia has one and was born by C-section. So maybe the vet was in a hurry!:)

I'm not sure but I thought these were both normal and easy to fix....Chelsea don't stress about it, especially since your vet is aware and not worried.

Hernias can vary in severity from "ho-hum, another hernia" to "OH $#*+!".

I would imagine that your vet was not overly concerned.

For reference, Thistle had a hernia, our vet said they'd close it during the spay, but no rush. At a later visit it was declared to have closed mostly on its own, leaving just a fatty "belly button". I had her spayed just after 18 months of age, so her spay was not rushed.

oh i ment to respond earlier but my irish mama wanted to skype and i got sidetracked.
thankyou guys! :)

oliver had one and im sure we got it removed when he was nuterd.. though i cant really remember.
i always thought it was kinda sweet.. soft to the touch but i never imagined intestines falling into it?!

im not overly worried.. i thik if it was a HUGE issue they woulda had her in htere pretty quick.. just musta been the'intestines' mentiond that stuck in my head and gave me that bad dream. definitly not plesent to dream about something like that happening to your sweet little baby. how horrid!

They are quite common in cavaliers and some other breeds, too, but I think there is sometimes concern that they are common, and whether they are inherited or not. They can indeed be serious enough that a small bit of intestine can push through out of the abdomen. Most of the time they are not a problem, and resolve themselves by the time of a neuter but if not they are commonly taken care of at that time. None of my cavaliers ever needed a hernia fixed -- they just sorted themselves by the time the dogs went in for neuters.

I don't think you need to worry but if there's any protrusion over the coming months, I'd definitely talk to your vet and have it looked at. Most likely nothing will arise and then a t time of spay they can tell you if it needs to be fixed (they aren't removed per se, but closed off). :)

Back