• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Long Ears and Combs and/or Brushes

Brian M

Hi

I keep my four in full coat and they go to a professional groomers about every ten weeks ,which means of course I have to brush and check them all every night which is something I enjoy doing even though I probaly do it totally wrong .If we look at their long thick furry ears what is the implement to use and do you on a daily basis use any type of spray on conditioner .Over the years I have added to my collection of combs and brushes from the proper Mason Pearson boar bristle brush to a variety of PAH combs ,so what should I use a comb ,a brush ,a slicker or a mix of them ???????

Tks

Bri

I use a mixture of all those things Brian. It depends on what the dogs have managed to dip their ear feathering into since the last grooming and the length and texture of the hair.

They don't seem to make my very best grooming tool any more. It's a Hindes moulting comb with a wide rubber strip across it, which can be adjusted or removed alltogether. It doesn't harm the show coat in any way, but it does pick up bits of gravel, mud and grass that they pick up in the garden and acts as a really efficient rake for all the dead hair.

I use spray on conditioners with great care between shampoos for any dog that I am showing, because they all contain some industrial grade alcohol which I don't think is good for the coat in the long run - more sensible to use the best conditioner you can get after a thorough shampooing in the bath.

Fletcher 11 months old now, his hair is growing but I'm sure its shorter than your girls. I am hoping to leave his hair full coat as well IF I can keep up with it. I brush him out every evening and I always start out of the slicker simply because its the softest, helps calm the puppy down. Then I can kind of see if he has any tangles or anything. However I have notices his ears are getting thicker and with the slicker brush just does not cut it on the ears. Then I switch to a pin brush, this for me works better in Fletcher's thicker hair areas like tail, ears and feathers if I come across a tangle or small mat I use the smallest comb I have to work it out. This works for me. I do use a homemade leave in conditioning spray its main ingredient is coconut oil (I will look for the recipe and post it today) about once a week.

Hi
Thank for all your smashing replies ,so far I have picked
£40.26 £40.26
£5.24 £5.24
£4.99 £4.99
Subtotal£50.49
Handling£0.50
VAT£10.20
Total £61.19

And already have Pure Pads H20 hydrating mist which seems good and also tealised I have Biogroom

Anytime leave in coat moisturise ,but any comments on the brush and comb I have picked most welcome I always learn so much from this type of thread

Brian I have a Mikki Rotating tooth comb and it`s the best thing I have ever bought - I have been so pleased with it. I have various grooming items, but to be honest the only two I ever use is the rotating comb and a nice pin head slicker brush. I have to be very careful what products I put on Ollie now as back last year he started scratching a lot after being bathed, I used flea treatment, but the problem seemed to happen after bathing, I now use a sentitive shampoo which I even took to the Groomers when he went a few weeks ago and he is now fine. Jasper`s hair is short so saves me so much money and time.

I am a terrible owner and don't brush my boy. He is lucky if he is brushed once a month.
I only brush if i see a tangle forming, and that is usually behind his ears.
Even though he is almost 2 years old he barely has any fur still!
When i do brush him I just use a slicker or a greyhound comb.
http://greyhoundcomb.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20
That is a brand of comb that I have as i am a dog groomer and that is what was recommended to me,
they are very good quality and do their job very well, but any cheaper comb would also be fine. I have used the occasional plastic comb while travelling with him.
And fine is the width between the teeth of the comb that i use most.

I do have a rotating comb, though not that brand, and i did like it.
Though i just went back to the normal comb and slicker. And the occasional pin brush and bristle brush.

Hi
Have ordered my brush and comb from Petcetera so hope they may land tomorrow .Thanks all for your input.

Bri

Hi

My stuff came this morning and I can rate them high enough ,the untangle comb was amazing and the Chris Christensen fusion 27 mm pin brush was fantastic all over them but especially
on their thick ears so I think these are the two items I will only need .I have two other C C brushes one is a slicker and its too harsh on the ears and the other is a pocket pin brush and then the old
Mason Pearson boar bristle which I bought new 5 years but the new ones for my needs are superb ,To comb and brush four to a reasonable presentation took about 10 mins each which is about half
what I was doing every night so instead of struggling for 90 mins nightly now its a very enjoyable 45 mins .So from getting in from work at say 5.30 pm and preparig tea and waiting for them to finish
about 50 mins then to comb and brush them 45 mins then do their teeth brush each 4 x spray 2 x feed one logic small chew and then give each a cube about 35 mm sqr of turnip thats about another
30 mins then in the summer a 60 min walk so total = 185 mins which means Bri sits down about 8.30 - 8.45 .But I cant think of anything better to do with my time and even at the back of my head I am
thinking I wonder what it will cost me to bribe Dawn for number 5 .Luke goes back to school on Monday hes a good lad as when I am at work and hes home they all get four daily walks with him .
Oh on the girls coats after I finished there was no need for any spray on stuff so that pleased as well and the sun was out for our afternoon walk as well ,a lovely day all round ,thanks to all .

Best Wishes

Bri

I start with a pin brush and use a Fermenator over Charlie's entire body at least once a week. It gets piles of loose hair out when other brushes get out none.

Back