Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Thistle had several pain episodes this weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I meant that if she is being kept awake by prednisone, it will keep her awake and reacting to discomfort rather than settling and sleeping (especially if she started doing this after being on preds, which would normally reduce discomfort). Should have explained that better. But could be the coverage doesn't yet address the pain. It does build up over time though -- for my condition for example taking preds is actually the main diagnosis as it is the only thing the pain responds to, and very quickly but 'quickly' means over up to three days.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK. now I see what you're saying. I've been giving her the 6 mg before I head to work in the morning, between 8-8:30. But then around 1-2 am she starts to be uncomfortable. Unfortunately, I'm only getting about an hour sleep before she wakes me up, and I would really like to sleep through a night. Giving her a boost of the prednisone seems to settle her back down.

I don't know why Guinness keeps waking me up at 5 am, he isn't even getting medication. But Thistle again can't settle. It'll be a relief to get her stabilized, and happy. I don't want her to be sleeping all the time (just at when I'm sleeping, it would be nice), but it'd be so nice to have her personality back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, the neurologist just texted. "there is indeed a huge syrinx"

IŽll post again when I have more details.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I'm so sorry, even though we all knew that's what was going on with her it's still hard to have it confirmed. At least now you do have a positive diagnosis (and know that nothing happened while she was out of your care) and can move on and give her the best care you can. Will await more details.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Just been reading all of your posts. I am so sorry that yet another Cavalier owner has to go through this. At least it has been confirmed that it is SM. I don't know how things work in Belgium but it be great if you could get her onto Gabapentin (should be avaiable over there) and Zitac. Every dog is different. All 3 of mine have SM or symtomatic CM. One is on Lyrica & Zitac the other is on 3x100mg gabapentin & Zitac and the other one is on 4x 100 mg gabapentin & Zitac.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    Well, the neurologist just texted. "there is indeed a huge syrinx"

IŽll post again when I have more details.
    I'm so sorry to read this. Thinking of you
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh no, so sorry that you have had this result -- but there is strangely always some relief at finally knowing as you can then go forward with proper information and take the steps to make her more comfortable.

In your shoes, I would push gently but firmly to relegate steroids to save for the 'nothing else is working' category and instead start to work from Clare's protocol to bring in a CSF inhibitor and probably gabapentin. You can see from so many cavaliers here over the years, that gabapentin is most likely to bring some immediate relief once the dosages are right. Let us know when you have more information. We are all thinking of you.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Oh no, so sorry that you have had this result -- but there is strangely always some relief at finally knowing as you can then go forward with proper information and take the steps to make her more comfortable.

In your shoes, I would push gently but firmly to relegate steroids to save for the 'nothing else is working' category and instead start to work from Clare's protocol to bring in a CSF inhibitor and probably gabapentin. You can see from so many cavaliers here over the years, that gabapentin is most likely to bring some immediate relief once the dosages are right. Let us know when you have more information. We are all thinking of you.
    This is exactly my plan. I can't leave work for a few more minutes, and unfortunately couldn't go with her to the MRI. I texted the neurologist to ask if he was familiar with Clare Rusbridge's algorithm, he said he knew her well, but wasn't aware of the algorithm so would download that.

Given Thistle's bloating and vomiting I want to get her off the steroids unless there are no other options (and right now we have several options that haven't been tried).

Post Thanks / Like

As the others have said, I too am sorry you have received this diagnosis.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

However much we know the likely answer it is always a shock to have SM confirmed.

Thank goodness Thistle has got such a well informed owner. I do hope you can get her comfortable soon.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi